New Discussion юеВ

Re: Fibre Channel Boot Disks on MSA1500 or MSA1000

SOLVED
Go to solution
Warren Landrum
Advisor

Fibre Channel Boot Disks on MSA1500 or MSA1000

Guys,

I have 3 new Integrity rx4640's (VMS 8.3) with 2 pairs of MSA1500 controllers. I want to set up one of the LUN's I created to use as the system disk. I would then Image backup (using IE64 equiv of Standalone backup) my current local system disk to this guy and use it to set up my cluster.

Does anyone know how to make these FC disks bootable? I know how to do it with HSG80's, but this MSA and EFI Shell stuff is all new to me. And apparently, it's new to HP support as well. I just spoke to them this morning about upgrading my MSA1500's (fw 5.10 b 414) to the latest (6.86?) so I can go active/active, and they are still VERY confused about whether or not the MSA1500's are supported on VMS yet. Some say yes - some say no. I've got an open case that I just logged that has been escalated to try and find the real deal on this. I know I reported in this forum a couple weeks ago that my local HP Storage 'expert' had told me this IS supported, but I have yet to find anyone that can point me to the firmware so I can Flash my controllers. Stay tuned on this...

Anyhow, back to my original query, if anyone knows how to do set up the FC disks as bootable on the MSA100, I'll go with that. It'll probably be about the same for the MSA1500.

Thanks,

Warren
9 REPLIES 9
Jefferson Humber
Honored Contributor

Warren,

The HP-UX download for the A/A firmware is a zipped .BIN file, you should (?) be able to use this with MSA_UTIL.EXE on OpenVMS.

I assume there is a version of MSA_UTIL on IA64, I know you certainly use this on AXP with the .BIN file to flash the MSA1000.

I'd be interested to see what HP come back with on this, especially the support element of MSA1500 with OpenVMS. I wouldn't upgrade the controllers until they say it's OK to do so.

Not sure about the bootable disk bit, with AXP you use WWIDMGR, but I'm guessing this is different under IA64.

Hope this helps,

Jeff
I like a clean bowl & Never go with the zero
Warren Landrum
Advisor

Jeff,

Thanks. Just got back from lunch and had a voice-mail in regard to VMS 8.3 and MSA1500 and Active/Active. Message said that HP Engineering now says that HP is supporting only Active/Passive withe the MSA1500 on VMS and will NEVER support Active/Active.

I need to call them and find out exactly what the heck is going on since we made our purchase decision based on being told by HP that VMS and MSA1500 and Active/Active would be supported as of last November.

I'm familiar with using WWIDMGR on the HSG80 and Alphas, but IA64 works differently.

thx,

Warren
Jefferson Humber
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Warren,

OMG, that is shocking news from HP !

There must be some kind of mix up ?

As for the IA64 boot disk, look at ch.3 of the OpenVMS upgrade and install manual. It shows you how to use the EFI Boot Manager to select the boot device. Although once OpenVMS is up and running BOOT_OPTIONS.COM is the preferred tool of choice for managing these settings.

Hope you hear better new tomorrow,

Jeff
Warren Landrum
Advisor

Jeff,

Thanks for pointing out where to look to create that system disk from a FC disk. Am in th eprocess of doin so as I type this.

Yeah, that is not real good news about the MSA1500. I queried the HP guy after lunch and he told me that the HP Engineer he got this info from was the highest one he had access to after he escalated the question, but he says if he finds out ay more info, he will let me know. This was just e-mail communique. I still plan on talking to him in the AM to see what's going on. Will post any further info here.

Warren
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

I am reliably informed that OpenVMS support for the MSA1500 will be when V7 of the firmware that has Active/Active support ships. This firmware is expected from the storage organization in the near future.

MSA1500 with current firmware are only supported in specific configurations in Active/Passive mode.

Fingers crossed then.

The 01/07 OpenVMS roadmap still says Q406 for MSA1500 support. ;-)

Jeff
Jefferson Humber
Honored Contributor

Warren,

It's there now !

MSA1500 A/A support for 8.2, 8.2-1 & 8.3, all with v.7 firmware.

Good luck,

Jeff

Jeff,

Yeah, I saw the announcement from you in openvms.org posted 2/15. Thanks !!!
Warren Landrum
Advisor

Questions answered. Just need to install MSA1500 Active/Active software now.