1753455 Members
6122 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: File/Record compression for direct access files

Joseph Huber_1
Honored Contributor

I have the feeling that the data writing is really sequential in nature, so a direct access method is not necessary for this step.
A sequential variable length unformatted write of compressed data will therefore gain a lot in speed, depending on the 'compressabilty" of the data.
In the less time-critical (?) phase of reading/analyzing the data later You have to pay for missing direct access of course.

To see how good the data really compress, I would simply make a test using gzip for a whole file to see the compression percentage.

Finally a possibility to achieve both goals, speed of writing and the possibility to direct access of individual records:
Avoid record I/O at all, and do block-mode I/O.
Reserve some blocks at the beginning of the file (depending on the maximum number of records/measurements to store) for a directory of block numbers. Then write each variable length (compressed) measurement into the next integral number of blocks in the file, remembering the starting block number in the "directory". At file close time, write the directory blocks to the file blocks reserved at the beginning of the file.
This way the reading/analyzing programs can randomly access a certain record almost as easy as a Fortran direct access read.
If You do not want to program this block I/O in Fortran, packages to do block I/O can be found on the freeware and VMS SIG disks ( http://mvb.saic.com ): look for *BIO*, or
http://wwwvms.mppmu.mpg.de/vmssig/src/for/lib_routines/bio.for

or my own

http://wwwvms.mppmu.mpg.de/~huber/util/bio.for

http://www.mpp.mpg.de/~huber
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

Debu,

Using multi-buffering and deferred write is an option, particularly if the data arrives in a "bursty fashion". It also helps deal with the inevitable unpredictability of disk access, where there are many reasons for delays, besides file open and extension requests.

This may be an application that cannot be run in a single synchronous thread, and may be a good candidate for the use of an event based restructuring. Additionally, compression algorithms have a tendency to be CPU intensive, and many off-the-shelf compression schemes are not coded with performance as their primary goal.

Having worked with various realtime data feeds many times in the past, there are many options, not all of which are applicable in each situation.

For a starting point, your recent posting says that over 60GB a day is the data rate. Is this continuous, or is is it some number of kilo/mega bytes per minute? The time behavior of the data feed does make a HUGE difference.

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

Rt acq. processes) which writes the "Data Archive". The data is continous in nature,

So it does not sound like direct access is truly needed. Just write as it comes, maybe leaving a breadcrumb behind for an (time) index table of sorts in the beginning of the file (using RFA's ?), or in a parallel file.

>> The time available for this application to complete is about 200 msec. for a "chunk" . size is about 500kbytes.

So that's like a walk in the park! Too easy... as long as no crazy extends/ fragmenation is happening.

>> I split the "chunk" to 20 records, of 25000bytes each(fixed),as this is the nearest i get to a disk block multiple of 512 bytes.

PLEASE do yourself a favor and forget about the 512 thingie. Honestly. Trying to exploit that, and not getting it exactly right, is the single biggest 'fake tuning' error I see being made over and over.

Write as much as allowed. If using RMS (trhough the fortran RTL) then 32K is the max. Use that. RMS will deals with crossing block boundaries. Let RMS do its multibuffer thing and 'WRITE BEHIND" and be happy. 4 - 10 buffers, 96, 124 or 127 blocks each should do the trick. Try each if possible. 127 is likely best, 124 makes it even to help certain disk IO sus systems, and 96 makes work for the XFC slightly easier IF write start at block 1.

>> write operation is done using fortran OPEN
statement. using some logic the file is always "preopened" to avoid openeign the file when the actual fiel write starts.

IF there is a serious IO issue, then you may want to consider QIOs, or even IO_PERFORM, because it allows for larger IO sizes, but it sounds like allowing RMS to do its thing is all you needs.

>> Now the issue for me is to reduce the write time to disk file, as i find more I/O bottleneck, rather than CPU availability in the system.

Right. So make the IO LARGE.
Please check the file with DIR/FULL... is it relative or sequential? Make sure the bucket size is 63 and the record size 63*512 - 1 is relative and make pick any record size larger then 4K for sequential files and just try : SET RMS/SEQ/BLOCK=127

>> Also if i can compress the data further,
then the 60 Gb /day will come down,reducing the frequency of sevral other operations.

So do some test compresses, as Joseph suggests. Try several algoritmes, as you appear to have non-standard data.

>> Here i agree with Josep H. that compressing will result in variable lenght records,

Ayup.

>> I went thru the RMS section, but felt that
the "compress" has something more to do with the ASCII type of data.

Agreed. It does not sound like RMS record compression will help one bit (sic).

Bob>> Using multi-buffering and deferred write

Semantics alert... I'm sure Bob meant WRITE BEHIND
The RMS DEFERRED write option only works in SHARED context with full locking so you don't want that (CPU) overhead. And furthermore it just fills buffers and postpones. It does not initiate behind your back IO. So it litterally does not help at all for continueous streams.

Good luck!
Hein.
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

May be also disable the XFC. Do a set file /cache=no on the directory the files are in. This disables xfc for all new files created in the directory. No need to dirty the XFC with large files you're not going to read again. You'll get better performance for the files that do need xfc.

And defrag your disks if not done already. This to avoid head movements.

Wim
Wim
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

Hein,

Bob did mean "Write Behind". [meant "deferring the write" as opposed to running synchronous with blocking waits.

While this type of situation IMHO is best implemented using reader and writer threads, RMS write behind gives a reasonable facsimile by avoiding most scheduling blocks.

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Random comments...

Deja vu; I worked in the background with some folks some years ago with a DR-based application structured very similarly to what you describe, they had been upgrading their application for some years, and were still receiving buckets of RT data. (When I started with them, their receive data rates were a sizable chunk of the available backplane speeds on the boxes they where then using.)

First off, I'd run some tests and see how much "slop" I had to work with with here.

I'd probably not be initially looking to use RMS or the file system calls here; not as the primary design center. There's a whole lot more around processing the data that's key to what's going on than are the file calls. RMS or XQP or $qio calls are a very small fraction of the whole of the application here. (Fussy and important, yes, but...)

Compression can potentially help here if it's the I/O bandwidth in from or out to the spindle that's the limit. Given your comments, I'm going to assume you're secondary to the "real time" data receiver process(es); you're relatively asynchronous to that processing, and have some slop in how fast you can get data out. (If your code is primary, then what I'm referring to here would change.)

If I/O bandwidth is the limit, I'd look to upgrade the gear before spending a whole lot on re-coding or up-rating the software for the box. Striping and faster I/O devices would be the obvious path; controller RAID-0 or RAID-10, for instance. Or faster or SSD storage; some of the PCIe SSD devices, for instance. (You may or likely have already looked at this. And your box doesn't have PCIe; it's using the older and slower PCI-X bus.)

Here, if faster I/O doesn't cover your speeds and feeds, each record gets a record header and the compressed data; basically you're using (pick your compression) and you write your buffers out of a ring buffer "behind" your compression. (If this is the same I application I worked with, this is what I suggested last time.) You need track your compression buffers, your headers, and your in-flight and next write locations. This code is fussy. (If you choose RMS, you can avoid this as RMS happily deals with block spans and all that dreck for you. If you choose block I/O or $qio, you'll likely end up here.)

If software, this can be done in the application, or you could conceivably use a compressing pseudo device. This where the application tosses block data at something that looks like a disk, and the pseudo device and its ACP compresses it. (This is a gonzo-scale software-based kernel-mode approach, but it allows you to entirely separate your application code from your compression. There are other and easier ways to get modular compression, obviously. But this one looks like a disk to any applications referencing the data store.)

If you have CPU cycles to spare now, you probably won't when you bring software compression on-line. Regardless of whether you use application code or a shareable image or a pseudo-device-ACP approach. Might also look to use Macro64 and the EV56+ instruction set if the compilers won't generate these for you and if you can't find existing code; there was an instruction subset or two added for multimedia-related work. (This is if you really want to tie your code to Alpha and need serious go-fast.)

The stuff I'm working with now tends to generate 8 GB per hour per channel; that's a continuous and uncompressed rate. And the gear I work with can deal with multiple streams. (This bandwidth is not an unusual application in the present day, either.)

Another option here is semi-custom or dedicated hardware compression; where you off-load the problem to another widget. Depending on your data (and your lossless or lossy requirements) and your speeds and feeds, you might be able to utilize some of the available hardware. eg: JPEG2000 lossless.

If you go for compression, read up on sliding window lossless LZ1 compression as one potential option. At at the available loss-less compression. There are folks that do this compression in hardware (or firmware), too. And yes, it's entirely feasible to implement it in software, too.

And if you don't really need compression, definitely don't go there. Not until you're off-line.

This is headed toward a more detailed design and toward some prototypes. Toward a look at the disk spiral transfer rates and any planned changes in speeds and feeds. At the availability of a test system and test data or test (or teed) data feeds.

Stephen Hoffman
HoffmanLabs LLC

Phil.Howell
Honored Contributor

Is there any scope for either buying faster disks or incorporating a RAID controller?
Otherwise look at increasing rms block and buffer counts, and use "write-behind"
Phil
debu_17

I was away from the computer for some time, so could not reply.
Many thanks for all the suggestions from all of u.
I am going thru each in detail, so i have saved the thread so far 2 a local pc disk.
will try out some of suggestions.

only one pt. here, the data rate is not "garden path walk", as the hardare does not have any memory. even at the low data rate by todays burst standards, it needs to be understood that the Acq. task handles continous data, i.e. at word level assured response time req. is about 1.9 usec. from the server. The Acq. task works well, and by avoiding OVMS internals, and using Qios,ASTS,and my home made flaging system (stored in system wide global pages) , it works 24x365.

I will get back after studying the options suggested by all of u.

thanks again.