1753774 Members
7010 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Find process by assumed persona

Hoff
Honored Contributor

Re: Find process by assumed persona

While I understand the immediate sequence and commands and the particular problem encountered (multiple-persona disorders often are), what application or problem are you looking to address here?

By backing up a step or three, there may well be another and different way to address the problem here.

I do see this is involving the Notes NNTP gateway.
Richard J Maher
Trusted Contributor

Hi Graham,

>> (FWIW, you get the old Username when you
>> do a Conttrol-T as well)

>That's the process name. There's lots of
> things persona services don't do, but
> setting the process name is not top of my
> wishlist.

Doh! Yeah, sorry for pointless, useless, and in all other senses just wrong observation. My mind's still stuck on polling for the magical appearance of an ETicket Number in a labyrinth of XML :-( Modern technology eh?

Anyway, I'm going to repost the same code as an attachment here as I feel it illustrates the bug you've identified nicely. (If not for you then maybe for someone else)

FWIW, I'll post a slight variation of the code that might help you as a work-around. (If a "work-around" is in fact what you're after?)

Basically, it drops the username-equality from the $process_scan an shifts the responsibility to your code. IE. Even though $process_scan couldn't see the persona Username, the subsequent $getjpi returns the *correct* username and then you manually filter out the ones you want. (At least I think it does, I'll post the code anyway in a minute)

Cheers Richard

PS. Is there a control-t like thing on Linux?
Richard J Maher
Trusted Contributor

OK, here 'tis,

Not much changed, but as discussed the filtering is done in your code rather than the (blatantly buggy) $process_scan.

I haven't ruled out other options, if what I think the code is doing is not correct, or not what you want.

If only it was Web Services or a Unix semaphore then $process_scan might get fixed :-( And if it was related to DECWindows or PCSI related then there'd be no trouble getting it back-ported.

Cheers Richard

PS. Now where was I? Oh yes, if nestedClass.getUseless().getContruct().getLongFreeText.indexOf("Pax1") - or was it List before that?
labadie_1
Honored Contributor

Graham, I am sorry, this is out of the subject of your post

>>>PS. Is there a control-t like thing on Linux?

Well Control-T is just SIGINFO, and by the way, yes, with Linux, some tools have it, like

dd, fsck, dump, cp, tcpdump, tethereal, tshark
(and I guess many others)

Bsd And Vms have had Control T for a long time (from day one ?)
And Mac OS X 10.4 has it
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=200505201204071(...)

Somebody offered in the
Linux Kernel Mailing List to add it for the kernel 2.4, but it has not been added
http://www.cs.tau.ac.il/~didi/ctrl-t/
Graham Burley
Frequent Advisor

> what application or problem are you looking to address here?

I was doing some simple DCL to see if a user active on the system when I noticed that these processes were not included. I can work around that, but was curious about the behaviour, and whether I was missing/messing up something in the persona calls.

I'm not likely to log a support case about this. I'm not sure how $PROCESS_SCAN should be amended to cope with personas, but the current behaviour looks a bit odd to me.

Thanks to all who responded, in particular John Gillings re $PROCESS_SCAN and persona issues.
Graham Burley
Frequent Advisor

See previous note.
Richard J Maher
Trusted Contributor

Hi Graham,

I've just re-read this thread and realized that John came up with the application-side filtering idea about 3 weeks ago; therefore I have concluded that my contribution to the debate has been about zero (except perhaps for that certain je ne sais quoi that only I can bring :-)

I'm replying now only 'cos you've helped me a lot recently and I so desperately wanted to reciprocate, and I haven't felt this useless and ineffectual since about, well, yesterday.

On the plus side, John's (Hoff's?) persuit of a security fix for the dodgy lib$get_vm call in sys$persona_create, may have left the crack open for an inclusion of a $process_scan fix on the same cost-code? (Or an inner-mode safe lib$*vm heap manager would obviously be better!)

Anyway, in my quest for relevance, I've attached some kernel mode code that I used to use before DEC gave us the lovely the persona services - last working circa VAX/VMS 6.2. (I can't see the working-set lock-down which is ringing alarm bells and I am by no means recommending that anyone use this in production!)

On a closing note, you mentioned a $persona* wish list? I happen to think the persona services are the mutt's nuts! Ask away!

How 'bout a starter question? "West Sussex pubs for $10"? European -vs- African Swallows? My favourite colour? It's Tourquoise! Ask fancy-pants Gillings if he knew that then eh :-)

Cheers Richard