108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Fix messages in wrong forum

SOLVED
Go to solution
Stanley F Quayle
Valued Contributor

Fix messages in wrong forum

Is there some way that messages could be moved to a different forum? This would greatly increase the poster's satisfaction (a goal of HP, I'm sure), and reduce the amount of junk Windows postings.

I suspect that some sort of moderator would have to be nominated, the poster receive a notice about the new location, and the list of auto emails would have to be re-arranged.

Also, perhaps the list at the main menu (which has OpenVMS at the top of the second column) needs to say "Not Windows"...
http://www.stanq.com/charon-vax.html
9 REPLIES 9
Bradford Hamilton
Regular Advisor

Stan wrote:
I suspect that some sort of moderator would have to be nominated, the poster receive a notice about the new location, and the list of auto emails would have to be re-arranged.

Stan - AFAIK, these forums are moderated (or at least monitored). I agree that the OT postings should be deleted;let's hope they will be, soon.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Alas, it seems some folk are incapable of reading or understanding that forums etc. are split into rather diverse sections.
I really don't think that a "not windows" would make much difference for instance to the coffee spiller poster!

I keep an eye on a couple of the forums and it can certainly be a pain wading through stuff that has absolutely nothing to do with the forum.

Stanley F Quayle
Valued Contributor

I agree that many posters may not have a clue on how to find a moved link. They're not VMS users. :)

But these are HP customers, and the moderator (or monitor) should have a way to get their question going in the right direction.

There have been times I've posted things in the wrong placed, and have appreciated a gentle nudge in the correct direction. Don't these other people deserve the same?

Kimberly Ann
Honored Contributor

Hi Stanley,

There are a few moderators that peruse the forums community, and they have the ability to 'move', 'delete', and 'edit' posted messages as needed. The move function can push the message thread to other parts of the ITRC Forums. Perhaps the Windows question that was posted was missed. I'll send them a message to the team to keep an eye out.

Thanks,
Dan
Brad McCusker
Respected Contributor

9 out of 29 messages in the VMS forums are off topic. 30% noise is too high, I too wish the moderators would nuke the mis-posted entries.

These forums have a lot of potential, but, not if they are going to be mostly junk postings., in my opinion.

Brad
Brad McCusker
Software Concepts International
Guy Peleg
Respected Contributor
Solution

I'm one of the moderators of the OpenVMS forum.

I have removed unrelated meessages to more
appropriate channels. I'll try to keep up....

Guy
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

I think that too much noise in this group could have a very detrimental affect on the success or otherwise of this forum due to the strength of the comp.os.vms and similar News Groups.
It does seem that the basic etiquette of the Forums is not being followed.
While I agree with Stanley that it's nice to have a gentle push into a better Group / Forum if you're off topic, some of the postings here require a substantial push as they're far, far from the place they should be posted.
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

Another cleanup done
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
Stanley F Quayle
Valued Contributor

-