New Discussion юеВ

Re: Fixing an empty File Name in the file header

SOLVED
Go to solution
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor
Solution

>> Maybe it's just a broken field length?

The filename is a 'space terminated' string.

I tested the program I just post with string "Hello World" and the name became "Hello" according to most tools, notably F$FID

$ cre  RAM:[HEIN]ABC.TXT;/log
test
 Exit
%CREATE-I-CREATED, RAM:[HEIN]ABC.TXT;1 created
$ dir/file/nohead/notrail/wid=file=30 ram:[hein]
RAM:[HEIN]ABC.TXT;1             (13,1,0)
RAM:[HEIN]XYZ.DAT;1             (12,1,0)
$ mcr sys$login:ZAP_NAME_IN_HEADER RAM:[HEIN]ABC.TXT "hello world"
... really should have a FILE VERSION but I'll let it slide.
$ write sys$output f$fid("ram:","(13,1,0)")
RAM:[HEIN]hello;

Also... the program posted uses simple C argv... which lowercases everything.

Best provide a number name in "UPPERCASE" with quotes.

fwiw.

hein

wefwer

Jeremy Begg
Trusted Contributor

Yes, that works for me.

Thanks Hein!

Jeremy Begg
Trusted Contributor

Hein, one more question (I hope!) ....

I've noticed when I run the program that it sets the ODS-2 file header fields (filename) but ignores the ODS-5 fields (filename type, e.g. "ODS-2", and filename length.  Setting just the filename doesn't seem to upset ODS-5 in the limited testing I've done.  So I'm just wondering if you have any further comment.

(I can read and understand your program and I found the FI5DEF header file to see what it does, but I wasn't able to work out how best to use this information in the program -- assuming it matters, which it might not.)

Thanks,

Jeremy Begg

H.Becker
Honored Contributor

From the original post:

>>> Header area

>>> ...

>>>    Structure level and version:          2, 1

So it was an ODS-2-type header (no matter what the disk structure was set to) and an ODS-2 ident area in such an header has no fields "filename type" and "filename length". As Hein said, (for ODS-2) the filename is a "'space terminated' string" (and Hein's program only writes into the first segment of the filename, have a look at fi2def.h).

>>> Setting just the filename doesn't seem to upset ODS-5 in the limited testing I've done. 

Because ODS-5 sees an ODS-2 header which it can handle without any problem. (Do you want to say the system disk is ODS-5? Then it seems the disk was initialized as ODS-2 and converted to ODS-5: this should keep ODS-2 type headers around, which is very likely the case for system directories).
Jeremy Begg
Trusted Contributor

Hi, thanks for highlighting the "Structure level and version" info. Yes it was originally an ODS-2 disk (probably built in the VMS 6.2 timeframe). Now I understand why the ODS-2 data was sufficient even though it's an ODS-5 disk.

Thanks!