108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Fuzzy characters with DW Motif

SOLVED
Go to solution
Trish Morman
Occasional Advisor

Fuzzy characters with DW Motif

I'm using an Alphastation 500-500 using VMS 7.2-2 and Decwindows Motif V0102-6-1. I use the EVE editor and DCL, etc. I don't know the model of the graphics card, but the device comes up as GYA0. I just bought a new Samsung 225BW LCD monitor and when using it with Motif I have poor resolution, particularly bad about every vertical inch. The system manager at my client's shop has suggested that the problem is because Motif uses 75 or 100 DPI fonts and LCD monitors use 96 DPI fonts. That doesn't make sense to me because monitors use pixels, not fonts, right? Or is the monitor or graphics card interpreting the DPI font into pixels and they are incompatible? I can return the monitor, and I'll do that, but I need to understand what the problem is so I can buy a monitor that will give me good resolution. Thanks
Viva VMS!
15 REPLIES 15
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Re: Fuzzy characters with DW Motif

The GYA0 device is usually either a TGA or a TGA2 controller, and the TGA2 is used with the PowerStorm 3D30 and PowerStorm 4D20 series. There are other members of the TGA and TGA2 series. I'd encourage determining the particular and specific graphics controller in use here. That detail matters.

I abandoned my effort to get a high-end older graphics controllers -- the PowerStorm 3D30 and 4D20 series -- to work with an LCD. This due to display artifact. The older controllers simply could not generate a reliable 60 Hz resolution for use with an LCD. The display was fuzzy, and had various other forms of display artifact. In those days, faster refresh was better, and nobody used 60 Hz due to inherent flicker.

Check your cables and connections, et al., and try swapping cables or controllers. The usual techniques of classic divide and conquer debugging swaps are warranted.

Do also look at the setting in the private server setup DECW$PRIVATE_SERVER_SETUP.COM or the card-edge resolution setting knob or the resolution switchpack -- how the resolution is set it entirely specific to the graphics controller -- and ensure it is within spec with the LCD. And try a few different (other) settings that are (also) in spec for the LCD. Best to go to the LCD native resolution, if the controller supports it.

Also see the OpenVMS FAQ "Which video monitor works with which graphics controller?" and particularly "Why is DECwindows Motif not starting?" sections, available via http://www.hoffmanlabs.com/vmsfaq

The AlphaStation 500/500 is an ancient EV56 box and not EV6, meaning it can't be used with newer EV6-only graphics controllers. I have a list of OpenVMS graphics controllers at: http://64.223.189.234/node/46

As for the 96 DPI fonts, tell this system manager that a patent-pending Heisenberg DPI Compensator avoids issues with the DPI differences in font displays. :-) But seriously, no, that's not at all related. The displays are pixels, and the controller and the display are slightly skewed.

I'd also look to replace the AlphaStation 500/500 with an EV6-class Alpha or with a low-end Office-Friendly (OFS) Integrity pedestal, too. But that is likely another discussion.

Stephen Hoffman
HoffmanLabs LLC

Trish Morman
Occasional Advisor

Is there a way to determine which video card it is without opening the system box?
Viva VMS!
Hoff
Honored Contributor
Solution

I usually prefer to follow the video cable back to the connector on the motherboard or in the host bus slot, and crack the box open and look behind it.

As for avoiding mechanical intervention, see what the ANALYZE/SYSTEM command CLUE CONFIG shows, or check the output from the SRM console if you're permitted to shut down the box.

If either CLUE CONFIG or SRM identifies the specific graphics widget, post that. If there's a hex PCI slot identifier in its stead, post that.

Some cards have an identifying string embossed onto the visible spine of the PCI slot.
Trish Morman
Occasional Advisor

Hooray! There was a string on the visible spine of the card: PBXGB-AA.
Viva VMS!
Hoff
Honored Contributor

The PBXGB-AA is the PowerStorm 3D30, and that's one of the controllers I couldn't get to work with a TFT series LCD; display artifact and ever-so-slight shimmer.

As the box in question was EV6-based and thus compatible with the newer drivers and the flat address space, I first switched to the ELSA GLoria (very slow) and then to the Radeon 7500 series (much better). Both of which drove the LCD just fine.
Trish Morman
Occasional Advisor

Yee Haw! You're the best. I've ordered 2 Radeon 7500 video cards. I have a 500-333 as well as a 500-500 and I presume the video cards will work for both (right?). Now, what about drivers? Will there be a driver that is native to VMS 7.2-2 (probably asking for a miracle?) or will I have to load one? If I have to load one, will an appropriate driver come with the card or will I have to download something, if so where? Once I get a driver, how do I install it on VMS 7.2-2? The estimated delivery date for the cards is Jul 23. I'm just delighted that I might be able to work with higher resolution. The more code I can see at once the easier my work is. :)
Viva VMS!
John Travell
Valued Contributor

Trish, I suspect that you may be disappointed with the Radeon 7500's.
IIRC, they are supported ONLY in EV6 machines, and not in EV5 (or EV5/6 as in your machine). However, I do not know if this support status is a case of 'known to NOT work in pre-EV6 machines, or might work but not tested'.

Interestingly, searching the HP website for 'Alphastation' is entertaining, looking through the 'retired systems' section finds NO matches, but using the search box at the top of every page managed to find http://h18000.www1.hp.com/alphaserver/workstations/retired/a500series.html?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN
which will lead you to documents dating from 1997, with no mention of more modern options, graphic or otherwise.
JT:
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Radeon 7500 requires EV6 or later.
Trish Morman
Occasional Advisor

Ok. So my machines are EV5/6? What does EV5, EV5/6, EV6 refer to? Processor board? Thx
Viva VMS!