1753797 Members
7367 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: GENERAL REQUEST

Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

You can send .COM files, but then you will have to do some tweaking. Nothing complicated, since this is plain ASCII, there is a very simple solution: rename the file before upload to .com.txt.

The advantage of extensions like .TXT and .JPG (and other displayeable formates) is that most browsers - not just MSIE - will be able to handle it directly, which is just very, very handy. Even with commandprocedures ;)

(Has anyone thout about spreadsheats? Export thema s .CSV in Excel and the recipient will be able to handle that without a problem. Again, it's plain ASCII.)
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager
Jon Pinkley
Honored Contributor

RE: Metapad

If you Google metapad, the following will show at the top. And that's the software I am referring to.

http://www.liquidninja.com/metapad/ home page

I used to replace notepad with metapad, but on my most recent laptop, I just have a shortcut on the quicklaunch section of the taskbar, and a shortcut in sendto and associate common text file types with notepad.. I chose the non-LE version, but the choice is yours. Windows 2000 and more so XP make it a pain to replace notepad; but it can be done.

Jon
it depends
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

>> If you have used Word to compose or spell check,

Ha die Willem,

This was the topic I found in the ITRC mentioning spell checking. Yes, I also have used external tools to compose, select, copy & paste. (I typically used Gmail compose for that, it will do plain text).

I just wanted to point out that now with GOOGLE CHROME as browser you get a (English) spell checker with any text box, including replies here.

Hein.

Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

> [...] now with GOOGLE CHROME as browser [...]

I seem to get (imperfect) red underlining of
(claimed) spelling errors here using SWB
1.1.10 ("Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; OpenVMS
COMPAQ_Professional_Workstation; en-US;
rv:1.8.1.15) Gecko/20080928
SeaMonkey/1.1.10").