New Discussion юеВ

[GNV 1.9 for OpenVMS 7.3-2] "soon" ?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Gilles Pion
Advisor

[GNV 1.9 for OpenVMS 7.3-2] "soon" ?

Hello everybody,

On Open Source Tools for OpenVMS page (http://h71000.www7.hp.com/opensource/opensource.html) we can read since the beginning of this year:

"Coming Soon: GNV Version 1.9 for OpenVMS Alpha Version 7.3-2 and higher, and OpenVMS I64 Version 8.2 and higher. "

Since I'm french, I'm not totally sure of the exact meaning of this sentence, and specially of the word "soon".

Could someone in this forum, preferably a native english speaking person, could explain me the precise meaning of this word (in term of months, maybe years)?

Thanks in advance,
9 REPLIES 9
John Reagan
Respected Contributor

Re: [GNV 1.9 for OpenVMS 7.3-2] "soon" ?

I'll ask the engineer doing the work and reply when I find out more information.

The original intent was "months".
Gilles Pion
Advisor

Thanks,
BTW, I just noticed that I forgot the smiley on my initial post, so, here it is:
:->
Galen Tackett
Valued Contributor

>
> :->
>

Gilles, is that a goatee, or just a big smile? :-D

Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor
Solution

I'm told that V1.9 is still planned but due to other work being higher priority a planned date for 1.9 is not yet known.

In Belgium we use "onverwijld" (some kind of ASAP) as a replacement of soon. But a few years ago the goverment was going to do something "onverwijld" and since then the meaning of the word changed to "will probably never be done".

Wim
Wim
Galen Tackett
Valued Contributor

A little anecdote about things supposed to happen "soon," especially across language and cultural barriers.

As a teenager back in the early 1970's I lived in the Philippines for several years, just north of Manila. We never learned more than a few phrases in Tagalog so I'm no expert, but here goes...

My father supervised a number of Filipino laborers who built short wave antennas and related facilities for the Far East Broadcasting Company. He didn't know any Tagalog but most of his crew spoke at least fair English.

Dad quickly learned that the word "bukas" (literally, "tomorrow") often came with a connotation of vagueness. Now and then it may have meant something like, "Hah! We'll never live to see that happen."

This carried over into English, as it was occasionally unclear to us exactly what a Filipino might intend even when using the English word.

I have many fond recollections of our time in the Philippines. I'd love to visit again some day ("bukas").
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

In Terni Italy a client always suffixed appointments with "Italian time". Pickup at 7:30 AM "Italian Time" could mean 6:00 or 9:00 or whatever.

It must be the heat ...

Wim
Wim
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

Since 2.1 is out (for OpenVMS 8.3) I guess 1.9 for 7.3-2 ├Г┬нs considered 'low priority' :(.
"Soon" normally means "in a short period". The uncertain factor is the perception of "short"...Probably "months" but as others stated, it could mean anything else but "soon" :D
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager
John Reagan
Respected Contributor

The GNV developer (sits next to me) has been out sick for several days with the flu. I know he was working/testing the 1.9 release, but I don't know the exact status.