1748032 Members
5090 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Geek Quiz follow-up...

Art Wiens
Respected Contributor

Geek Quiz follow-up...

"Everyone knows that none of the COM files contain the word TEST so no file would be produced anyway :-)"

How was everyone supposed to know that?

Aside from being wrong (I did get the .LIS right! ;-), I guess I'm not too swift as well? What clue did I miss that gave any indication of what directory you were in, or what the contents happened to be?

Duh,
Art
5 REPLIES 5
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Re: Geek Quiz follow-up...

I've found a way to suppress the file ;-)

$ search *.com "TEST"/output=[MYDIR]
%SEARCH-E-OPENOUT, error opening USER_XYZ:[MYDIR]SEARCH.LIS; as output
-RMS-E-DNF, directory not found
-SYSTEM-W-NOSUCHFILE, no such file
$

Hey, I would not take this quiz too serious.
Everybody have a nice weekend.
Art Wiens
Respected Contributor

I'm not taking it too seriously, just if it's said "everyone knows" and I don't...I definately want to be with the "in crowd".

No mention was made of what the current directory was, what the contents were, or if the specified output directory existed.

I tested it after my initial reply...my current directory happened to have a few command procedures that had the word TEST in them, and I redirected the output to a directory I new was valid.

Whatever,
Art
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Mwaaaahh...

and this is to be the first I find after 9 days of digital abstination (WONDERFULL snow, WONDERFULL weather, WONDEFULL food, and (lots of) WONDERFULL Weizenbeer, thank you for asking!!!)

"Everyone knows that none of the COM files contain the word TEST so no file would be produced anyway :-)"

Art, sorry to hijack your stream, but: Robert, you DEFINITELY never saw any of my .COM fiels, nor from the people I work with!!!

We _DO_ tend to comment our scripts extensively, and especially a phrase like:
"$! #... DD 20050306 jpe Added testing for ... ...
would surely trigger your search , so I _VIOLENTLY_ oppose to the quote!!!!

Zum Wohl. (Proost, as I became used to say it last week)

Have one on me.

Jan
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Robert Atkinson
Respected Contributor

Gents, I was just having a bit of fun at Kris's expense (hopefully Kris also saw it this way).

Of course I didn't post a whole list of details, because I knew someone would eventually come up with the fact that there's not enough information to answer the question fully - which is the whole point.....playing Spot The Geek!!

Honestly chaps, it's just a bit of fun, don't worry about it so much.

Rob.

P.S. For anyone still wanting to argue the case, the real answer is "User Authorization Failure", as I wasn't even able to log onto the box to run the command!
Art Wiens
Respected Contributor

Ok...I guess the appropriate thing to do is invoke the "whatever" clause.

Whatever,
Art