4500 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

General Oracle comment

Dave Gudewicz
Valued Contributor

General Oracle comment

Good news for RDB / Alpha people.

Now if more people from Oracle on the west coast knew about what was happening on the east coast, life would be better for VMS.

To explain the US geography, the west coast is where Oracle is headquartered. The east coast is where the rdb people are. This physical separation makes a difference imo. Always has, always will.

There are fewer VMS people on the west coast then in times past.

I've heard that up until version 5, Oracle (not rdb) was developed on VMS, then moved to Sun, which was a popular move at the time.

7 REPLIES 7
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

Re: General Oracle comment

why "Good news for RDB / Alpha people"?

One of the reasons behind the unix portability initiative
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/portability/index.html

is to speed up release on VMS of new version of products such as Oracle (developed on Sun).

I would like to see RDB pushed more by Oracle as it is a fine product but I think its unlikely. It is being ported to Itanium VMS.

I don't understand. Why is it good when there are fewer people in the HQ who know about VMS?
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

I believe after Oracle acquired Rdb there was a unique product Oracle/Rdb.
Is it true?
... And what are the news?

@Antoniov
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Dave Gudewicz
Valued Contributor

Uwe

Is it not good that there are fewer people on the west coast than on the east. That was my point.

And to the other comments. I was responding to Sue's posting of the recent Rdb performance metrics on VMS. To me, that's good news.

Somehow I clicked the wrong button and started another thread.

Sorry

Martin P.J. Zinser
Honored Contributor

Hello Dave,

well, Oracle/Rdb is developed in close proximity to OpenVMS engeneering, so this is an advantage.

OTOH being an "outpost" is always a problem (independent of the specific West vs. East coast rivalery in the US). I know this from my own position that keeping good and close communication up between HQ and any remote site is something that does require constant effort even if both sides are good willed.

On the topic of Rdb, is there a similar split in the user base (i.e. more on the east than on the west coast)?

Greetings, Martin
Dave Gudewicz
Valued Contributor

Martin,

Don't know about the split between west and east coast, but I agree completely with your view on the challenge of the "outpost."

Happens all the time in many different situations.

Dave...
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

Now I understand your first line - it's a response to Sue's posting.

For those people who don't know about rdb see
http://www.oracle.com/rdb/
Its a database originally developed by DEC and now owned by Oracle. Its seperate from the other database by Oracle and is native to VMS.