New Discussion

Re: GnuPG

SOLVED
Go to solution
Niall76
Frequent Advisor

GnuPG

Hi,

I'm trying to install GnuPG on my OpenVMS 7.3 Alpha server. After running GNUPG-1_4_7-AXP.EXE and restoring the BCK to the sys$common directory as requested. I create the symbols as requested on this page: (http://h71000.www7.hp.com/opensource/gnupg_readme_147.txt) and installed PSWAPM privilege using the SYSTEM account. I now get the error below when trying to run it. Does anyone know what the issue is?

SKYNET::CONSOLE> CC /VERSION
Compaq C V6.4-008 on OpenVMS Alpha V7.3 
SKYNET::CONSOLE> GPG
%IMGACT-F-SYMVECMIS, shareable image's symbol vector table mismatch
-IMGACT-F-FIXUPERR, error when GPG_ALPHA referenced DECC$SHR
SKYNET::CONSOLE> GPGV
%IMGACT-F-SYMVECMIS, shareable image's symbol vector table mismatch
-IMGACT-F-FIXUPERR, error when GPGV_ALPHA referenced DECC$SHR
SKYNET::CONSOLE>

Thanks,

Niall

15 REPLIES 15
H.Becker
Honored Contributor

> ... and installed PSWAPM privilege using the SYSTEM account. I now get the error below ...

Does that mean the image ran without being installed?

Extracting the gpg image from the save set and running it - without being installed with privs - on V8.3/Alpha doesn't show such an error message.

The readme claims it would run on "OpenVMS Alpha Version 7.2-2 or higher", you tried it on 7.3. Usually the symbol vector of the DECC$SHR shareable image for a newer version is compatible with the ones for older versions. It is possible but unlikely that gpg for 7.2-2  was linked with a DECC$SHR, which is newer than - and so different from - the one from 7.3. That's more or less what the error message says. If this error only shows when the image is installed, then this may be something else, including a different shareable image.

Anyway, as far as I can see there are sources in the backup save set and you have a C compiler on your system ...

Niall76
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for your response.

Sorry, I shouldn't have included the word 'now' in that sentence. I never tried running it without installing this privilege. Do you know the command to remove this privilege so i could try and see what happens.

I've tried building it on my system but it stops at the error below. I don't have this GNV directory.

%CC-F-NOINCLFILEF, Cannot find file "SYS$SYSROOT:[000000.SYSCOMMON.GNV.src.GNV.FILEUTILS.LIB]regex.h" specified in #include directive.
at line number 34 in file SYS$COMMON:[000000.GNUPG.GNUPG-1_4_7.G10]TRUSTDB.C;1

Thanks,

Niall

Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

H.Becker
Honored Contributor

You installed a main image with a privilege. You can remove the image with

$ install remove <file-spec>

similar to the used create command.

For help on the install utility try

$ help install

The readme doesn't talk about GNV dependencies, although it may be only a single header file. It may be sufficient to extract that from a GNV kit

Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

Niall76
Frequent Advisor

Thanks, but the minimum requirement even for the oldest version on that site are 

OpenVMS Alpha V7.3-2, HP C V7.1-015

I'm running 7.3 with C6.4.

Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

Niall76
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Steven. 

I actually found an old version of GNV that would install for me and was then able to install build GnuPG. 

I know very little about GnuPG and if i can get an update to work then it might be worth my while in upgrading. 

I've noticed that after using this version of GnuPg on a file and then decrypt this same file on my Alpha the MD5SUM of the file has changed. Is this normal? Also I must remove my file extension in order to encrypt the file as VMS doesn't like .txt.gpg

Thanks,

Niall

Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor