1754021 Members
7590 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HArdware requirement for DEv environment

Swain
Regular Advisor

HArdware requirement for DEv environment

I want to set a DEV environment on Open VMS 8.2 Alpha server. What is the standard Hardware requirement?

Please suggest what should be the version of fortran and DECform to be installed on the system.
4 REPLIES 4
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

>> I want to set a DEV environment on Open VMS 8.2 Alpha server. What is the standard Hardware requirement?

Nothing! Nobody should be developping on 8.2 without a solid explanation. You should be on 8.3.

If you are on 8.3, then you need an alpha, any alpha, emulated or not. Even a 'personal Alpha' will get you going nicely.

For a real Alpha consider an EV6 @ 500Mhz with 512MB and 2 drives each greater than 4 gb the minimum, allthough you can certainly do fine with less.

If inter-process communication with syncs and ast's is a target, then a dual CPU system is really needed for realistic testing.

How much work do you intent to throw at the system? 1 user or many? 10,000 lines of code, or 10,000,000 ?

>> Please suggest what should be the version of fortran and DECform to be installed on the system.

That latests and greatest! Google +site:hp.com

fwiw,
Hein.
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

Amaresh,

In principle, I will not disagree with Hein. In practice, with all due respect, I will agree to differ somewhat on a number of questions.

What has been left unsaid is: What is the target environment?

If the development is for general distribution, Version 8.3 is the better choice for new development. If the target platform is a system running 7.3-2, I would, with all due respect, disagree.

The same rule holds for the hardware side. If the deployment platform is not yet purchased, I would recommend using Integrity. If the target hardware installation is already in existence, I would not use hardware significantly beyond the capacity of the final hardware platform. The reasoning behind this recommendation is my desire to avoid disappointing end user performance. It is far better to experience bad performance during development, than it is to discover a performance issue at final delivery.

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com

Swain
Regular Advisor

Bob,
Target is too V8.2
Thanks for the remarks.
Swain
Regular Advisor