1753546 Members
5525 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HBMM %SYSTEM-F-SHADFEATNOMNT,

Benjamin Levy
Frequent Advisor

OK - this is a cluster with crossover ethernet cables - pretty straightforward there.

Based on the responses, I added the "SHOW CLUSTER" and the 5-second wait in SYPAGSWPFILES.COM - "SHOW CLUSTER" first, then the 5-second wait. Will monitor the situation and see if any change or interesting output.

Thanks for the ideas. Will keep this thread updated if more info.
Robert Brooks_1
Honored Contributor

OK - this is a cluster with crossover ethernet cables - pretty straightforward there.

Based on the responses, I added the "SHOW CLUSTER" and the 5-second wait in SYPAGSWPFILES.COM - "SHOW CLUSTER" first, then the 5-second wait. Will monitor the situation and see if any change or interesting output.

--

The five second delay may mask the problem, but make no mistake -- something is quite wrong here, and it's likely in the shadowing code -- either in SHDRIVER itself or the SHADOW_SERVER process.

There were five engineers who worked on the HBMM project; only two of us remain at HP now, and neither one of us is still in VMS Engineering. I conferred with the other remaining engineer, after pointing him to this thread, and he didn't have any other suggestions, other than to remind me that the shadowing driver does have some system disk-specific code that is not exercised for data disks, and it's possible that there is a latent bug, even though we did have an exhaustive list of test cases that involved system disks and HBMM.

I'd suggest contacting HP and opening a call (assuming you have prior version support), but even if you do, the first suggestion will be to upgrade to a more current UPDATE kit.

-- Rob