Operating System - OpenVMS
1752805 Members
5431 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP 3050 Printer driver causes Pathworks decdnp.sys to Blue Screen

Michael Payne, Sr

HP 3050 Printer driver causes Pathworks decdnp.sys to Blue Screen

We keep getting Blue screens on a Win XP computer that we just installed a HP 3050 All-In-One printer on. We can uninstall the printer and it works fine.

The offending driver listed is decdnp.sys.

I found this file in 2 locations on the PC:

C:\I386 this is version 7.3.109.0

C.\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS version 7.4.112.0

Attached is the latest dump file.
11 REPLIES 11
Karl Rohwedder
Honored Contributor

Hi,

this is the OpenVMS forum covering all aspects of the fine OpenVMS operating system.
Your question seems to be better suited in the Microsoft windows forum.

regards Kalle
Hoff
Honored Contributor

You'll want to confirm that you're on the most current version of the PATHWORKS 32 client, which http://h71000.www7.hp.com/pathworks32/index.html implies is circa V7.4 -- it's not clear if you're running 7.3 or 7.4, but I'd guess you're running 7.4.112.0. (If you're not sure, rename one, reboot, and see if PATHWORKS works.) Once you have the current bits loaded (if you don't already have V7.4) and assuming the BSOD problem still lurks, then you'll want to ping HP directly with what is apparently a problem with the PATHWORKS 32 client.

There are some earlier discussions of issues with DECDNP.SYS image here in ITRC, too:
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=260328
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=744999

Google and other resources don't immediately find (other) discussions, either. I'd recommend direct contact with the HP support center, after an upgrade to V7.4. These sorts of bugs usually involve the source code.

Andy Bustamante
Honored Contributor

This is the OpenVMS forum, but I don't see a Pathworks 32 forum.

There is an updated decdnp.sys available from HP, log a call with HP. The fix corrects another problem. The version I have is the .114 which is several years old now.

Andy
If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over? Reach me at first_name + "." + last_name at sysmanager net
atul sardana
Frequent Advisor

Michael,
i think before you install printer driver on your PC first you can check it through command prompt,
attach printer with PC and then gives
c:/>dir >lpt1

If printer print directory of "C" drive then it means your PC parallel port and printer as well as cable is working fine.
Problem is in driver cd....because windows xp and pathworks is compatible with this printer.

Atul Sardana
I love VMS
Michael Payne, Sr

Hoff

The driver used id version 7.4.112.0. The older one was just left over from an older version.

Atul

The printer is working fine. If prints, scans and sends faxes just fine. But every hour or so the PC goes to blue screen.
Hoff
Honored Contributor

This Blue Screen of Death BSOD Microsoft Windows crash is all up to HP to deal with, though it's not clear if it's PATHWORKS 32 or the printer software that's at central fault here, or if this is some particular aspect of the local Windows environment combined with one or both.

If you have a support contract for PATHWORKS 32, I'd call that team.

If you don't have support, I'd expect you're going to have to decide what you want most here: this printer, the PATHWORKS 32 client, or both but with the costs of per-call support or a support contract.

What part(s) of the PATHWORKS 32 client are in use locally? eXcursion? DECnet? The Windows servers, PATHWORKS Server, Advanced Server and CIFS/SAMBA servers can all operate without the PATHWORKS 32 client; can use IP.
Jur van der Burg
Respected Contributor

The DECDNP.SYS driver has lots of issues on multi-cpu or multi-threading capable cpus. If you have one of these try to run with only one thread or cpu enabled.

(I know this driver from the inside from the time I worked for HP (long story, not for public consumption....)).

Jur.
Michael Payne, Sr

Jur

There is only one CPU on the PC.

You are a little over my head on the multi-threads though. How do I tell how many there are and how do I make sure there is only one?
Jur van der Burg
Respected Contributor

A quick way to find this out is to start the task manager (ctrl-shift-esc), click on the 'performance' tab and see how many cpu's are active in the cpu usage history screen.

Jur.