1748176 Members
4200 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP Availability Manager Data Server As a Windows Service

TheHolyLancer

HP Availability Manager Data Server As a Windows Service

Hello,

I'm trying to run the Data Server as a service that starts on windows start up (windows XP professional) on one of our boxes that is in the same network as the alphas, but is running into difficulty with the fact that it's a jar file. I have tried to use the community edition of Java Service Wrapper, but it did not provide a working solution due to the jar not responding to the standard control signals. The wrapper is saying that the jar hit a start up time out without triggering some sort of JVM event, when the Data Server ran perfectly in that duration and was stopped.

Anyone here knows any other methods to run this Data Server as a Service or start it automatically on windows boot (without log in) on a non server system (it is an old workstation that is unused and re-purposed for this).

Otherwise I have had no other issues with the data server, just that in order to use it one has to manually log onto the machine and start it and stay logged on for it to work.

Thanks a bunch
6 REPLIES 6
John Gillings
Honored Contributor

Any reason you don't want to run the server on your OpenVMS system? Simple to start and runs reliably.

On Windows, have you tried defining the target of the Start menu shortcut "Data Server Startup" in the appropriate registry entry? (I can never figure out which one is which on Windows, maybe HKLM:RunOnce or RunService?)

On my system it's:

"C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Availability Manager V3.0-2\jre\bin\java.exe" -Xms24m -Xmx60m -noclassgc -cp .;AvailMan.jar;AvailManImages.jar;AvailDocs.jar com.compaq.am.server.ServerMain 9819

If that doesn't help, for Windows questions, it might be better to ask people who know Windows, rather than OpenVMS folk? Or perhaps log a case with HP?
A crucible of informative mistakes
TheHolyLancer

Well, in this environment, we only have 2 OVMS Alphas, and they are the ones we are trying to monitor, and we didn't wanted to stick the monitor server on the servers we are monitoring, since all that would really do is tell us when it's down, it's down.

I was hoping that someone else would have ran into this issue as surly they don't expect someone to run the data server in windows by having someone logged on and running it with a dedicated VM or box.

I will look into the run once stuff for windows, but from what I've seen, the java stuff don't play well with it short of having a Java app server.
tasevms
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I see that this is quite an old thread but I was wondering if anyone has managed to run the Availability Manager Server on windows as a service without logging in.

Thanks,

Haim

Martin Vorlaender
Honored Contributor

Yes, I am successfully running AvailMan DataServer on a WinXP machine as a service. I used SRVANY/INSTSRV (see e.g. here).

tasevms
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Martin.  I tried it on Windows 2008 server and the service is up but doesn't seem to be listening on port 9819. How did you define the PARAMETERS in regedit?

Haim

Martin Vorlaender
Honored Contributor

Right from the RegEdit export:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\AvailMan-DataServer\Parameters]
"Application"="C:\\Programme\\Hewlett-Packard\\HP Availability Manager V3.1-2\\jre\\bin\\java.exe"
"AppParameters"="-Xms24m -Xmx60m -noclassgc -cp .;AvailMan.jar;AvailManImages.jar;AvailDocs.jar com.compaq.am.server.ServerMain 9819"
"AppDirectory"="C:\\Programme\\Hewlett-Packard\\HP Availability Manager V3.1-2"

(I think I got the parameters from a VMS DataServer)

HTH,

Martin

BTW: Our system is a Windows Server 2003 SP2