New Discussion юеВ

HP C V7.3 installation --- Error reading PCSI$ROOT.PCSI$DATABASE

SOLVED
Go to solution
Arch_Muthiah
Honored Contributor

HP C V7.3 installation --- Error reading PCSI$ROOT.PCSI$DATABASE

All,

I am trying to install HP C7.3 on IA64/OpenVMS V8.2-1.

HP C installation fails with the following error...

Portion done: 0%...40%...50%...60%...70%...80%...90%
%PCSI-E-READERR, error reading SYS$SYSDEVICE:[VMS$COMMON.][SYSEXE]PCSI$ROOT.PCSI$DATABASE;1
-DDIS-E-TNF, invalid element syntax
%PCSI-E-S_OPFAIL, operation failed
%PCSIUI-E-ABORT, operation terminated due to an unrecoverable error condition

I tried to apply patches VMS821I_UPDATE-V0800 and its dependant patches VMS821I_PCSI-V0100.ZIPEXE ....

When I apply the dependant patch VMS821I_PCSI, the installation gives the error...

Portion done: 0%...10%...20%...80%...90%
%PCSI-E-READERR, error reading SYS$SYSDEVICE:[VMS$COMMON.][SYSEXE]PCSI$ROOT.PCSI$DATABASE;1
-DDIS-E-TNF, invalid element syntax
Recovery pass starting ...
Recovery pass concluded
%PCSIUI-E-ABORT, operation terminated due to an unrecoverable error condition.

Any knows faces this problem and what is the problem with PCSI$ROOT.PCSI$DATABASE file?

Thanks in advance
Archie
Regards
Archie
6 REPLIES 6
John Gillings
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: HP C V7.3 installation --- Error reading PCSI$ROOT.PCSI$DATABASE

Archie,

Unfortunately the PCSI data base has a history of fragility. When it breaks it can be tricky to get it back together.

Recent versions of OpenVMS have PRODUCT ANALYZE PDB to check the integrity of the data base, and can do some repairs. Other than that, you'll need to contact your local HP Customer Support Centre for instructions on how to fix it.
A crucible of informative mistakes
Arch_Muthiah
Honored Contributor

Thanks John for the response.

I reported this HP C installation error to HP. They asked me to try patching the server with the all the necessary patches while they look into this problem. Probably HP may return back today or tomorrow. In the meantime it is nice to get the response from you as you are also in the OpenVMS engineering.

As per HP suggestion, I do the porting work on IA64/OVMS V8.2-1, otherwise I can install the latest VMS and try $product ANALYZE PDB as per your suggestion.

Thanks
Archie
Regards
Archie
John Gillings
Honored Contributor

Archie,

>it is nice to get the response from you as
>you are also in the OpenVMS engineering.

Who? me? I've never been in OpenVMS engineering. I was Customer Support for many years, but not any more.
A crucible of informative mistakes
Arch_Muthiah
Honored Contributor

John,

I was thinking since long time you are in VMS engineering team.

HP also responded with exact patch which will resolve this PCSI database corruption. I tried all the ways; unable apply any patches. Then as you doubt PCSI db corruption, I planned to re-instal VMS 8.2-1 on our another Itanium server, and applied all the patches and C73 complier successfully.

One more question:
I remember long back I faced link problems among the RTL libraries comes with OS, C, & C++ on Alpha/OpenVMS. Any known problems reported on Itanium/VMS/CRTL libraries while installing HP C++ over HP C ?

Thanks
Archie
Regards
Archie
Hoff
Honored Contributor

If you wish to ask the "any known problems?" question -- and as you have a support contract in force here -- do consider availing yourself of the benefits of what you are paying for. Ask the HP support folks directly.

As for the installation of the compilers, the C and C++ compiler packages are installed in parallel and in either order. You're not installing one compiler "over" the other.

You're probably remembering an old and long-resolved sequencing issue that was here, and some related installation and startup wrinkles, and from a comparatively long time ago within OpenVMS Alpha environments.

And the RTLs for the mainstream languages are installed with OpenVMS, and ECO'd with OpenVMS. There have been ECOs for the RTLs over the years, though I've not headed off to look for the V8.2-1 status.

I'd suggest the installation of OpenVMS I64 V8.3 here, if that's feasible. Not V8.2-1.

Arch_Muthiah
Honored Contributor

No problem contacting HP support, they are prompt. Tomorrow I will discuss with HP.

As we prepare a build server, we would like to load this server with VMS V 8.2-1, otherwise we can take your suggestion.

Thanks to John and Hoff for your time.

Archie
Regards
Archie