4911 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP OpenVMS Hobbyist and Education programs web site

Sue Skonetski
Advisor

HP OpenVMS Hobbyist and Education programs web site

Dear Distribution lists,

It is my truly my privilege and honor to carry on the legacy of John Wisniewski and the DFW LUG working with David Cathey on the OpenVMS Hobbyist and now Educational programs. Over the last few weeks we have been working with the web team to bring you a new web page which will cover both programs. Something similar to SourceForge.net. Projects like home automation can bring a lot of media attention.

http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/license_software_programs/index.html

You will notice that this web site also includes some of the stories of how the hobbyists use their licenses, these will be updated on a regular basis, so please check back.

A form will always be available on OpenVMS.org for Hobbyists to submit their stories describing how they use the license. From this form we will keep the License Software Programs page at HP updated. In addition, hobbyist will have the option of sharing their knowledge with others who may have the same interests. We're working on the details of how this can be done and will keep you posted.

Additionally, we would like to use this opportunity to announce the 10 finalists for the OpenVMS hobbyist contests. Please visit: http://www.openvms.org/pages.php?page=cool to cast your vote for the top 5 stories.

We would like to use this opportunity to thank Island Computers http://www.islandco.com for the DS10L which will be the first place prize.

If you've got any ideas about how we can continue to promote the Hobbyist program please let us know.

Personally, I would like to ask for your understanding as I come up to speed on these projects.

Warm Regards,

Sue Skonetski
HP OpenVMS Programs
8 REPLIES 8
Peter Quodling
Trusted Contributor

Sue,

does this mean that you will be taking over Hobbyist License and distribution from Dave Cathey etc.

q
Leave the Money on the Fridge.
Sue Skonetski
Advisor

No this means I am the HP Contact for Dave. There has not been a contact for him since John Wisniewski died. I will do what I can to help out.

sue
Matthew Finbow_1

Query:

Quoting from the site:
'HP OpenVMS Hobbyist Program
This program provides a low-cost solution for the HP OpenVMS enthusiast who wants to learn more about HP OpenVMS for the pleasure of using one of the finest operating systems for their own personal use. This program is a free download. If you wish, you may purchase the media for USD $30.00'
--
Does 'this program is a free download' mean that we will be able to download media/lp in the future, or is this a mistake?

It seems to be saying we can either download OpenVMS for free or pay $30 for the media.

Regards,

Matt.
William Webb_2
Frequent Advisor

Matt- not so, as far as I know.

The *licenses* arrive via email.

To my knowledge, the OS and LP for the Hobbyist Program are not downloadable.

And I'm sure that someone will slap my hand if I'm posting misinformation.

WWWebb
Matthew Finbow_1

I've been an OpenVMS hobbyist user for some time now, the query was the quote from the web page in the announcement stating 'free download' - I was wondering whether this was a change to the current situation or just a spelling/grammar issue on the website. (This may cause confusion if newcomers chance across this page)

Making it easier to get hold of the media would be a good way to encourage use of the program, having a prebuilt disk image file with simh in an installable package for windows would be a good start - a compressed disk image with just VAX/VMS + a few layered products (at least TCPIP) should shrink down to a fairly small size for downloading - 'instant VAX' just add licenses.

Thanks,

Matt.
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

Matt - good idea.

Getting VMS media appears to be a problem for many VMS Hobbyists (when they can't borrow CDs from work). I did bring this topic up with various people at the bootcamp. hp need to control distribution for various reasons so wish to distribute official media themselves. I don't think copying the official disks is legal.

It seems that Hobbyists can no longer download OpenVMS patches. Can someone at HP address this issue?
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

> It seems that Hobbyists can no longer
> download OpenVMS patches.

Yes, it does. Did you need to wake up two
old, dead threads to ask this question?

> Can someone at HP address this issue?

I'm sure that someone can. So far, no one
seems to have.

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.vms/browse_thread/thread/f7914a0791c91e20

Eventually, one tends to interpret no
response as the final response.