1753631 Members
5608 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP OpenVMS Technical Updates

Andrew Moody_1
Regular Advisor

HP OpenVMS Technical Updates

Not wanted to be a kiss ass, but thanks to Sue Skonetski and her crew, Richard, Mark, Gaitan and co for the technical update event in London these past few days. Learn much we did.

Top work.
A sobering thought: What if, right at this very moment, I am living up to my full potential?
17 REPLIES 17
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

Re: HP OpenVMS Technical Updates

Andrew,

I would not consider it a "kiss ass". Sue and the rest of the team that is doing the European circuit of Updates should get a well deserved attaboy [sic] for their efforts.

I travel a bit on client matters, and while I do it, the "wear and tear" of that is draining. They all deserve out thanks (I was not at the European events, but I was at the Bootcamp, and they all did a terrific job).

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
Andrew Moody_1
Regular Advisor

Thanks Bob, it was just really impressive. The enthusiasm shown for the product from people with genuine talent was refreshing. It's nice to see our BC OS is in such good hands.
A sobering thought: What if, right at this very moment, I am living up to my full potential?
labadie_1
Honored Contributor

The french TUD were on 2 and 3 of October.

It was great, tons of very good and useful information, people available and helpful. I learnt a lot. You should definitely go.

Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

And so was the Dutch!
It was actually streched a bit, with a day of Dutch VMS activity (Open Office, LDdriver by the author, and a full night RMS by 'Mr RMS'.
I assume day 2 was pretty much what you all got.
And then the Dutch VMS SIG coaxed Brad into half a morning of porting stuff, after which Richard Bishop gave an excellent lecture on Crashdump. NOT on analysing, but on how to set up things so that IF it comes to pass, you HAVE a valid dump in (nearly) all circumstances, and have it efficiently.
We made him promise to feed that in in the System Management manuals!

All in all, 3 great days.

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Nic Clews
Occasional Advisor

I have to agree the days were excellent, good information, and as usual have given me some work to do because the engineering perspective does give you a magical screwdriver. While I appreciated there's been concern about staffing reductions, I did get the view from the guys at the coal face, and the people take personal decisions based on personal circumstances, and sometimes it's just right for someone at their time in life. From the crew on tour there is absolutely no reduction in the brilliance of the engineering staff, some you've named.

I also got a prespective on the VMS pricing. Remember its come down a lot in price, for Integrity it's not this "cash cow" but we are getting realistic pricing, but in the same breath the engineering resources is limited and has priorities, you don't get something for nothing, but not just HP, it's true in many companies that overstaffing cannot bring the lower prices demanded by customers.

VMS is alive and healthy and getting very sexy on some of these newer platforms ;-)
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

The event in London was excellent with great work by the event team, local staff and the visiting HP people. The food was good too! :-)

VMS and VMS Engineering is alive and well dispite what you may read in other places.

The information gained and contacts made during the breaks is just as valuable as the presentions. There was NDA which ment that people could be more open than otherwise.

Andrew,

It would be well worth it for stories like this to be posted on COMP.OS.VMS. While ITRC is good for those already in the community, the newgroups are far easier to find for new initiates and novices (and their managers).

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
Martin Vorlaender
Honored Contributor

All,

I can only second everything said about TUD and Sue and the team. The German event (on Oct 5 & 6) was interesting and valuable and refreshing.

Too bad there was so little time.

There's a story on it (in german) at http://de.openvms.org/stories.php?story=06/10/07/8908762

cu,
Martin
John Travell
Valued Contributor

No-one yet has mentioned the Bruce and Guy show. Without detracting from the stunningly valuable presentations by all of the other folks, that last talk was probably the best, and maybe even the funniest.
Love to Sue and all her crew :-)