108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HPVM Guest on VMS 8.3-1H1

SOLVED
Go to solution
Colin Butcher
Esteemed Contributor

If you want to try this out then you really should be part of the field test programme.

There was a demo at the recent HPUG OpenVMS day in London. That was a single CPU instance of an early kit (post V8.3-1H1) running as a guest.

Do remember that this is all field test stuff - it's not yet released and supported for 'production' work.

I recommend that you get in contact with your HP account people - and also ask when you're likely to see 'production quality' releases of V8.4, which will help you with your planning.

Cheers, Colin (http://www.xdelta.co.uk).
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem (Occam's razor).
Daniel Munns

All I can say to Castel Gilles, is "YOU BEAUTY", you are the man!

Thank you all very much, I am so glad that I posted this question out there!

$ sh dev e

Device Device Error
Name Status Count
EIA0: Online 0
EIB0: Online 0
EIB16: Online 0
EIB17: Online 0
EIB18: Online 0
EIC0: Online 0

Theres obviously a load more testing necessary, and the guest O/S does seem a little unstable at times, but I beleive this is mainly due to SYSGEN parameters needing to be tweeked a litte.
Thomas J. Harrold
Trusted Contributor

I may be missing something - I'm trying to load OpenVMS 8.3 on HPVM 4.1, and I get a quick "VMS is unsupported" message, and it shuts down the VM.

Is there a workaround? Is this a "new" restriction that they've added to HPVM 4.1?

Thanks for your help.

-tjh
I learn something new everyday. (usually because I break something new everyday)
Hoff
Honored Contributor

I can think of a number of potential reasons why HP might explicitly disallow this.

As somebody wrote earlier on within this thread: "OpenVMS I64 V8.4 is the first release that HP expects and intends to be supported as a guest, based on the OpenVMS roadmap and various published reports. "

OpenVMS I64 V8.4 is not available yet.

And then "Contact HP directly if you'd like to get into this earlier, and see if they are in a position to discuss this topic."

HP likely knows what the schedule for OpenVMS I64 V8.4 and the associated HPVM support is. And HP folks likely also know why HPVM has apparently now locked out (apparently unsupported) OpenVMS I64 use.
CASTEL Gilles

hello,

may be you need to force it ?
try "hpvmstart -F ..."

regards