108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HSD30 mirrorset questions - OpenVMS errors and size

SOLVED
Go to solution
Russ Carraro
Regular Advisor

HSD30 mirrorset questions - OpenVMS errors and size

OpenVMS Alpha 7.1 was reporting errors on a disk. The disk is a mirror set (2 members) on an HSD30 controller. Customer replaced the 2GB mirror set members (over a week or so) with 4GB disks (couldn't get 2GB disks).

Question 1 - is there an easy way to determine which mirror set member was causing OpenVMS to report disk errors?

Question 2 - OpenVMS still shows the capacity of the disk as 2GB. From the controller the capacity of the mirror set is 2GB but each member shows as 4GB. How can I get the mirror set and OpenVMS to show 4GB. This is a 24x7 cluster so I'm looking for a way to do it without affecting the cluster operation; possibly restarting each controller (redundant pair) and then running analyze/disk on the cluster.
7 REPLIES 7
Bill Hall
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: HSD30 mirrorset questions - OpenVMS errors and size

Russ,

Question 1 - The disk errors would have been logged in SYS$ERRORLOG:ERRLOG.SYS on the host. Use DECEvent or WSEA to analyze the error log from VMS.

On the HSD30 you can run FRU and SHOW LAST_FAILURE command to find the disk errors.

Question 2 - DO image backup the DUA device and dismount. On the HSD30 delete the unit, then delete the mirrorset, init the member drives and then create a new mirrorset and unit. Restore image backup to the "new" 4GB DUA device.

Bill
Bill Hall
Russ Carraro
Regular Advisor

Bill,

Sorry, I should have said the customer does not have DECEvent installed. They need something that may identify it in anal/error.

Russ
Bill Hall
Honored Contributor

Russ,

They'd have to install DECevent or move the error log to another system that can analyze it.

Probably much easier/faster to just use the FRU utility on the HSD30.

Bill
Bill Hall
Russ Carraro
Regular Advisor

Bill,

Been trying FRU but don't seem to see anything relating to the device. I'll try it again after the next "error" ocurs.

Russ
Bill Hall
Honored Contributor

Russ,

Just realized I had a finger or a brain fault in my earlier posts. I meant to say use the FMU (Fault Management Utility) not FRUTIL (Field Replacement Utility).

Sorry about that. Sometimes you get what you pay for and then sometimes you don't ;)

Bill
Bill Hall
Russ Carraro
Regular Advisor

Bill,

Don't feel bad, I can't type. I meant FMU,not FRU.

Russ
Russ Carraro
Regular Advisor

Thanks.