4610 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HTML

Lokesh_2
Esteemed Contributor

Hi,

What I do generally is make my HTML page on Microsoft's front page. Then I copy the corresponding HTML text page ( code ) to my composer and save it. Or I simply copy the HTML code in notepad and ftp to my VMS machine. For small editing stuff, i do use composer..

best regards,
Lokesh Jain
What would you do with your life if you knew you could not fail?
Martin P.J. Zinser
Honored Contributor

Hello,

if you insist on a "Word" like interface I fear you really need Mozilla. This does need considerable resources, but it <> very standard compliant in my experience (as in W3C standard compliance, acting the same as IE is not a standard).If you do not insist on a GUI any texteditor is fine to create HTML, pick your favorite one! Standards verification can be done with tidy (http://zinser.no-ip.info/vms/sw/tidy.htmlx).
If your documents are based on Ascii texts you might also want to check asctohtm (http://zinser.no-ip.info/vms/sw/asctohtm.htmlx).

Greetings, Martin
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

For who is interested.

I used mozilla against a SANswitch, output of mozilla directed via TCPIP to a workstation.

I used every page of the SANswitch for a few moments.
As a result I got some alarms :
1) the network interface was overloaded (3 Giga in about 45 minutes.
2) continuous buffered IO at a rate of 400 per sec by mozilla and java vm
3) 40% cpu load on the server node, esp for java VM.

Conclusion : don't use it on your production servers !!!
Wim
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Yes, the browser is doing a lot of data exchange with the switch. It does even reflect the port LEDs state from the real hardware.
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Uwe,

At least 50% of the traffic was between mozilla and the workstation.
I used it via 10 Mbit and it was VERY slow.

Don't use this at home (unless the wife forces you to).

Wim
Wim
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

I double Lokesh. However, you should be aware of some latent problems when your webserver is Apache 1.3.
Some facilities of Frontpage (themes with navigation buttons, for instance) create filenames with mutiple dots in it and these are referenced from within the HTML pages.
It's not within the EDIT phase, but when publishing!
The final result is that these files cannot be located. Renaming them is not enough, you'll need to change the references as well.
I don't know for OSU, WASD or Apache 2.0 (the latter would be able to cope with multiple dots, but requires the files to be STREAM_LF. I don't know what's worse...)
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager