1752801 Members
5482 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Help - Need OpenVMS "plan of record"

John Eerenberg
Valued Contributor

Help - Need OpenVMS "plan of record"

I see the roadmap for OpenVMS but it is vague and stops around the year 2007/2008.

The HP web site has the "Retain Alpha Trust Program" and documents the longevity of Alpha support "at least trough 2011", but I can't find it for OpenVMS.

This same document refers to the "OpenVMS plan of record" but I can't find it.

I need to show senior management an official statement from HP stating how long OpenVMS is going to be supported. I need a statement for OpenVMS both on Alpha and Itanium.

Please understand upper management has only heard that OpenVMS is dead. I can only give them a concrete answer or none at all.

Can anyone help?
It is better to STQ then LDQ
20 REPLIES 20
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Re: Help - Need OpenVMS "plan of record"

I can't really help as I am not employed by HP and only _they_ can answer. Have you tried to address this through an OpenVMS ambassador?
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

No, it does NOT stop around 2008. It stops filling in details, but all slides consistently show a suggestive, ongoing arrow beyond 2007.

Slide 8 specifically shows 'continued OpenVMS releases' beyond 2008.

And like you said, it talks about Alpha support at least through 2011.
What OS do you think those Alpha's will be running? OpenVMS!

No-one, HP employee or not, can or will, give you an answer here that will satisfy your management. You'll have to directly work with your sales-rep / support person for that.

Thanks for fighting the good fight!
Hein.

Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

John,
dont't forget agremment between Compaq and DoD (25 years of development) so now HP have to continue this.
And don't forget HP will release V8.2 for VAX too; this means HP would continue developing on VMS.
Contact HP ambassador for details.

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

John,

I guess your upper management only read Gartner c.s. There a major flaw in their coverage: they forget to state there is an ARROW on the right , not a staight end. Meaning as HP stated: "The slides are simply too small".
Others have already mentioned the DoD commitment (which is, AFAIK 20 years, not 25, but these 20 years really don't matter).
Get your OpenVMS ambassador involved.

I doubt it will bubble up to Mark, Rich, or even Carly:
Would ANY of you give such a statement - in public?

Willem
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

OOOPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(which is, AFAIK 20 years, not 25, but these 20 years really don't matter).

Quite a typo!

Obviously, I meant:

... but these 5 years don't matter.

Willem
Willem Grooters
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

John,

Have you thought of session on the bootcamp? You've been there so you would be able to get the global session documents. I don't know if NDA still applies, but I think it holds the info you need: Mark Gorham and Jane Velazquez can be called "Upper management", I guess.

Some other general sessions may hold relevant data as well:

[GS01] OpenVMS Strategy and Directions (MG) [GS02] OpenVMS├в Beyond 8.2 (JV)

[GS03] Integrity Servers Futures & directions
[GS06] OpenVMS and the Adaptive Enterprise [GS07] AlphaServers: Still More to Come

I couldn't reach all the docs (too big to get to them from where I am now; G02 = JV for sure, GS01 = MG is a guess, but rather sure it's right).

(Yet, I still would like to have some upper HP management person stand up and give the statement)..

Wil
Willem Grooters
John Eerenberg
Valued Contributor

I realize there is a lot of activity on OpenVMS and I appreciate your support of me "fighting the good fight."

Our VMS amsbassador was deemed no longer needed; so this person has been gone 2 years not to be replaced. We were assigned a temporary ambassador for a special project last year, but he is no longer available for me to contact. Both of these guys were in other cities quite some distance away.

The sales people don't really support VMS here and prefer to move apps to proliant and HP-UX. No technical sales support at all. I am "training" the one person that has HP-UX internals knowledge. This person had no idea that buffer overflows and viruses cannot happen on VMS, it is hack proof, that VMS patches are not for security holes (expect in very rare intances), that there is a reason you need more then kernel and user modes, etc.

So, if there is a "plan of record" as the roadmap states, I'd love it if I could get a copy. 10 points awarded and problem solved.
It is better to STQ then LDQ
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

John,
I have not seen any document with so long planning.
If you are interesting I can send you a zipped file (5 Mb) with HP presentation of VMS; Italian ambassador gave me last week of september.
It's a public document and may help you.

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Lawrence Czlapinski
Trusted Contributor