Operating System - OpenVMS
1752577 Members
5080 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Help! - Performance Problem - Can't find 4 CPU are been loaded!

Edmundo T Rodriguez
Frequent Advisor

Some how the PowerPointShow is not uploading...

Iam adding two chart.zip files

Does anybody know how to upload *.pps or *.ppsx type of file here?

I dont want to upload the *.ppt (maybe a *.htm)

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>Does anybody know how to upload *.pps or *.ppsx type of file here?

The simplest is just zip them up and attach.

Otherwise you'll need to add .txt to the end and then mention that the reader will have to remove it after downloading.

jpg,gif,pdf,png,doc,docx,ppt,pptx,xls,xlsx,zip,txt,sh,ksh,rar,pps,csv,log,ics,unl are the valid extensions.

Mike Kier
Valued Contributor

I loaded up the two CSV files into TLViz and the only thing I can see of note after looking at all of the collected data is that during the period when the CPUs are saturated on the 19th, the XFC Read I/O rate is very high (about double to triple the average for the 20th).

Since these reads are being satisfied out of the XFC, there is a possibility that this is a read to a common resource (high data locality) that perhaps contains a counter or a flag and the processes are spinning reading it with no wait time between reads (there is no corresponding higher rate of writes).  This may be especially so since your original post indicated only an overall ~68% XFC read hit ratio on a 98% read attempt rate, so it appears your normal data access pattern does not have as high of locality as we see during the saturation period.

There does not appear to be any system-related bottleneck here.   This looks more and more like an issue within the application.

Practice Random Acts of VMS Marketing
Edmundo T Rodriguez
Frequent Advisor

Thank you Dennis

Nice hint, i am uploading the presentation but may not be that relevant at this point.

I will attaching some file later.

The attached file is a Power-Point-Show file.

in order to be able to see the presentation remove the (.txt - dot.txt) at the end

and it will become *.pps file

Edmundo T Rodriguez
Frequent Advisor

Mike, that is a very good observation and analysis in short words.

I have a concern with the reduction of the 'overall XFC read hit ratio' onec in while but your inputs are valid.

I am performing some analysis and will bring a posting later on with some charts.

Meanwhile I am attaching one chart showing the XFC read on all days with pertinent high CPU.

(Mondays: 5, 12, 19) and 2-May Friday (closing day) Monday 19 (red  backwards).

I look forward to obtain more enlighment thank you to all inputs!