108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

High water marking

SOLVED
Go to solution
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

High water marking

I activate high water marking on a disk.
Then I create a file of 400.000 blocks on this disk. The command takes about 30 seconds. During this time, f$search hangs and f$file too.

It seems that the disk is locked (but not for dir).

Why ?

Is it possible that a database server (sybase) crashes because of it (e.g. too much outstanding IO for the given quotas) ?
Wim
22 REPLIES 22
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

Re: High water marking

I guess a writelock has been taken out on the disk so DIR is ok as it just reads.

re sybase - depends on how it handles quota failures - it should cope but...

No writelock on the disk. I checked and could write a new file to the disk. But I couldn't delete it (hang again).
Wim
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

No, not a general write lock as in MOUNT/NOWRITE - just a synchronization lock, e.g. on one of the bitmaps.
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

You'll need to get a hold of the Kirby McCoy's "VMS File System Internals" book ISBN DP 1-55558-056-4 to read up all the gory details. Notably check out chapter 5.4.5 "Dynamic Highwater Marking".

The basic premiss is easy. Never allow a process to read a block from a fiel that was not writen too that file earlier. The protetcs against 'scavenging'. That is, it protects against soem job just askgn for a bunch of block and then reads those to see if there is something 'interesting' left behind from a prior usage of that block (while it was part of a different, now deleted or truncated file).
Sounds easy, but ia hard to do right in a full sharing environment. The system has optimizations to avoid writes as much as possibly, notably when it detects 'sequential only access'. However, if you just allocate a bunch of blocks for a non-sequential file, or write a block for out into the file, the XQP will erase' all intermediate blocks... while holding a volume lock! (This can probably be fixed using a lower level lock, but that is not how it is done today). So writes to a file that is already open can go on, but any volume operation will stall.
You have to understand the application/file-usage to decide whether high-watermarkign is really needed, and what the expected costs are. You are not the first one to be bitten by this (myself, I get a painfull reminder once every 3 years or so: Hmmm.. is the system down? no? then why is my 'DIR' hanging? Oh duh... HWM!).

Groetjes,

Hein
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Hein,
he said he could create a new file, but not delete it - isn't the former an operation on the volume, too?

Wim,
did you just create an empty file or did you write data, too?
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Hi all,

as I have come to understand things, it is working fine.
Maybe a monitor IO/item=que for the disk will illustrate.
Creating a file is OK. (should that be initially so as well, while the SET VOL/HIGH is still active? Or is this assuming the data present before issuing the command was and still is not that important? Or IS this what CREATE is doing: writing VERY much meaningless data? ) But then, the file gets deleted, and the full area of the disk that WAS the file, now first has to be (multiply?) written, so as to release only 'truely erased' disk blocks.
So, for a big file to delete, your 'hang' is simply waiting for an IO to complete, that is somewhere at the back of a BIG que of disk IO entries...

correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what I remember of the info way back when, when highwatermarking was introduced (somewhere V5-ish ? )

Jan
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Martin P.J. Zinser
Honored Contributor

Hello Wim,

well the first question obviously is, do you have an applicaiton requirement to pre-zero
the diskblocks with Highwatermarking? If not,
having it enabled will generally incurr a penalty on random access files.

Greetings, Martin
John Eerenberg
Valued Contributor

> "Then I create a file of 400.000 blocks on this disk. The command takes about 30 seconds. During this time, f$search hangs and f$file too.
It seems that the disk is locked (but not for dir).
Why ?"

The short answer is the highwater erase, f$search, f$file, etc. are, by design and many good reasons, single threaded through the FCP (File Control Primitive). For the FCP to erase 400,000 blocks takes roughly the time you mentioned. The detailed answer has already been given.
It is better to STQ then LDQ
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

It is still not clear. There is some kind of volume lock but I can still write (Uwe : with data blocks).

What are exactly the read/write locks that are taken ? A database system is much simplier to understand than RMS.

Second, I find it a bad implementation if applications are stalled because of it. Suppose you have a real time application that need to close a valve but can't do the job because some DBA is creating a big database file (would block the disk for several minutes or even hours).
Wim