cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hobbyist License

R H Quayle
Occasional Contributor

Hobbyist License

I joined Encompass, purchased the software and have started the installation, but I haven't heard from the OpenVMSHobbyist folks in response to my license registration. Anyone know if this is still going? I expected to get the license info via email fairly quickly, but it's been a few weeks.

Thanks.
9 REPLIES
Allan Bowman
Respected Contributor

Re: Hobbyist License

The Hobbyist program is still alive and well.

Have you sent them a reminder email? I don't think it usually takes quite that long, but I'm not sure.

Allan
R H Quayle
Occasional Contributor

Allan,
Thanks for the quick response. Yes I did send a reminder email and still no response. I'll just have to keep waiting, I guess.
Allan Bowman
Respected Contributor

Did you send the email to hobbyist@montagar.com? It is possible that there is a backlog due to "real" work or vacations... I don't know for sure. Also take a look at:

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=947080

Allan
R H Quayle
Occasional Contributor

Allan,
I had read the page you linked to. I didn't send my reminder email to hobbyist@montagar.com though. There was a form submission page from the openvmshobbyist site "Problems with getting a license" link. That's what I did. I will try a reminder to hobbyist@montagar.com. Thanks for the tip. It may be as you said though, "backlog due to "real" work or vacations". I did get the CD from montagar very quickly though. Maybe a different side.

Thanks again for the help.
John H. Reinhardt
Frequent Advisor

Usually you will receive the email within a few minutes. If it has been weeks then you should go apply for a license again. Double check your spam filter settings. There are known problems with the spam filter at hotmail (or AOL, I forget which) sending the license mail into oblivion. The last time I applied (two weeks ago) I had the pak before I got off the Hobbyist web site.

Also, if this is your first time don't forget to get BOTH the OS (Alpha or VAX) and the application PAK sets, they come separately and you will need both.
John H. Reinhardt
Frequent Advisor

Also, do some googling on comp.os.vms and you will find useful information on the Hobbyist Site and License. Dave Cathey, who runs the Hobbyist site often checks there for problems and responds when time permits.
R H Quayle
Occasional Contributor

John,
Thanks for that info. I did apply for both the Base and Layered licenses and had seen that it only took minutes to get the email back, that's why I decided to look for help. I'm not using any spam filters. I'll apply again and try a google on comp.os.vms. Thanks again for the help.
Peter Quodling
Trusted Contributor

How soon after joining Encompass did you go to the montagnar site? They cross load their database updates on about a weekly basis, so you may not be able to get the licenses for a week or so.

q
Leave the Money on the Fridge.
John H. Reinhardt
Frequent Advisor

If they don't find you in their current list of members you get an email rejection instead of the license PAK. Either way you should get something within a few minutes. Sometimes if things are slow it might take a little longer but those times are unusual.