Hoff leaving HP !!!

Jan Schollaert
Advisor

Hoff leaving HP !!!

Where will this end ???

Date: Tues, Sep 26 2006 3:42 pm
Email: Hoff Hoffman
Groups: comp.os.vms

Effective 23-Oct-2006, I expect to be directly available for OpenVMS and related
professional services, support and related.

Additional general information is available at <>,
and I would ask that inquiries be referred to/via the contact information
available over there, and not to the HP email address.

And yes, HP and I are "parting amicably".

16 REPLIES 16
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

Re: Hoff leaving HP !!!

As this forum is intended for technical questions I suggested discussion of this news is done in the newsgroup comp.os.vms

Here is a link (using google) to the current discussion
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.vms/browse_frm/thread/0e32d45381da4997

If that's the case, then all the announcements about the "promotion" of different people due to points should discussed somewhere else. Also, there was a recent thread here when Guy left and there was no cry of protest about it not being technical.

Ken
Dave Gudewicz
Valued Contributor

I believe news such as this is OK to post here.

Dave...
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Sorry Ian,

I am with Jan, Ken, & Dave on this.

And Jan's outcry is exactly MY feeling: "Where will this end ???"

Perhaps this time the drink will be to try to wash away the fearfull feelings about the future...

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Vladimir Fabecic
Honored Contributor

I agree with Jan (and some others).

Where will this end ???

And it is not just Hoff! Guy, CMOS, Hoff and many others left HP. Is John (Gillings) still here ?

What is really happening?

P.S.
Sorry Jan, can not drink to that.
In vino veritas, in VMS cluster
Allan Bowman
Respected Contributor

I sincerely hope that Hoff will still elect to be a presenter at next year's technical forum. His presentations always offer a wealth of information which would be sorely missed.

BTW, I did see Guy hanging out in the Bruden booth last week...

Allan in Atlanta
John Gillings
Honored Contributor

re: Vladimir

>Is John (Gillings) still here ?

Well, since you asked... yes and no. For now, yes, but I've also been selected in the latest round of Work Force Reduction (WFR). My last day with HP is 20th October.

I am also "parting amicably" from HP, and that's NOT intended to be sarcastic. Mr Hurd is following a strategy of reducing costs by restructuring the workforce. I'm not sure how or why management select particular individuals, that's not really relevant. The same thing is happening in most large corporations, and there's not a lot of point in complaining about it. Just accept what's happening and move on.

In the long term this should really be seen as a GOOD thing for OpenVMS. Consider that most of us in engineering and services are getting fairly old! Where are the young replacements for the future? Although it's called "WFR" it really isn't, as every person who leaves from Nashua or Sydney is replaced by *several* people in the new call centres and engineering hubs. These are young, keen graduates, ready and able to take on the maintenance and development OpenVMS products.

Thus the population of OpenVMS service and development engineers is actually INCREASING, and the average age is coming down. This is the future. Granted they don't (yet) have the experience that Hoff and myself have gathered over the decades, but they won't take very long to get up to speed. Look at Guy Peleg! He was only with HP for what, 6 years? He's younger than my oldest child, and look what he's achieved. In effect, he's been replaced by maybe SEVEN people just like him 6 years ago. Even if each of them is only HALF as good as Guy, that's still a huge long term benefit.

The corporation sees that they get more "bang for the buck" by hiring several new graduates than retaining one of us old guys. The last thing you, as customers want to see is for OpenVMS engineering to stagnate, and 5-10 years from now be completely vacated when everyone retires. This way it's far more likely there will be engineers into the future.

What YOU can do as customers is support the product by purchasing service contracts. Without revenue, the product WILL die. That's a simple economic fact. So, USE your contract. Log cases to ask advice and report issues. More cases mean more engineers needed to handle them. You should also feed back any complaints or criticisms of the quality of products or service you receive, but, MORE IMPORTANTLY, also feed back any positives or praise for individuals who give good service.

The biggest threat to OpenVMS is silence from customers. Make your voices and opinions heard.
A crucible of informative mistakes
Kris Clippeleyr
Honored Contributor

First of all, I must disagree with Ian (sorry Ian).
Furthermore, I wish all that are leaving (have left) VMS engineering all the best in their future careers, and I hope to see them IRL at events such as the bootcamp, or the TUD.
I can see some sound reasoning the expose of John. But I'm afraid that when all the experienced people have left, the young fresh ones are left without guidance, and that could really compromise the quality of future releases of the OS will love and cherish. To quote a friend of mine regarding that OS fabricated in Redmond:
"The problem with Microsoft is a lack of adult supervision."
Just my 2 (euro)cents.

Hoff, all the best.

Kris (aka Qkcl)
I'm gonna hit the highway like a battering ram on a silver-black phantom bike...
Guy Peleg
Respected Contributor

Just to comment on John's reply

(I did not want to get involved but could
not resist when I saw my name mentioned)

When I joined engineering, I already had
7 years of experience with VMS (system
manager and support center).

Guy