4634 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Host-Based Mini-Merge on OpenVMS

Domen Setar
Advisor

Host-Based Mini-Merge on OpenVMS

Hi!

I have some questions about using HBMM on OpenVMS V8.2 Alpha servers.

Is it possible to use HBMM on standalone systems with only two physical disks which form one shadowset, becuse in this case dump file must stay on system disk?

We have our Alpha Servers without local disks. We use disks on EVA storage arrays. I can make special disk on EVA for dump file, but I have defined disks on SRM console in the way that both members of system shadow disk are seen over two paths. So I have defined all four boot disks in wwidmgr. Is there a way to define the dump disk not to lose current redundancy?

Best regards

Domen Setar
4 REPLIES 4
Heinz W Genhart
Honored Contributor

Hi Domen

If I understand you correctly, then you mix several things.

HBMM: I can not find out what is your question

DOSD: Dump off system disk. I will try to give you an answer for Dosd.

- To use DOSD (dump off system disk) you have to define the path to the dump disks in wwidmgr.

- You then have to set the console variable DUMPDEV so, that the path to the dump disks is defined. Don't forgett to include the path to the systemdisk within dump_dev, it's required as far as I remember for dumping the errorlog buffers.

- The dumpfile must reside in a similar directory structure like the systemdisk (dumpdisk:[sysX.sysexe]sysdump.dmp)

- You must define the symbol DUMPFILE_DEVICE in Modparams.dat. (DUMPFILE_DEVICE = "$1$dga10")

- The Sysgen Parameter Dumpstyle must be 4, 5, 12 or 13 (Bit 2 must be set)

- take care to mount the Dumpdisk very early during startup (SYS$MANAGER:SYCONFIG.COM)

- You must define a logical name CLUE$DOSD_DEVICE pointing to the Dumpdisk)

- You can find further information to DOSD in this manual http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/82FINAL/aa-pv5nj-tk/aa-pv5nj-tk.PDF

I hope that helps

Regards

Heinz
Domen Setar
Advisor

Hi Heinz!

HBMM is Host-Based Mini-Merge.

Your description of DOSD was pretty much known to me, but I like it so short and concise.
The problem is that only four EVA disks can be defined using wwidmgr, and I have defined four of them and don't want to delete any of them. So it seams that I have to use localy attached disk for DOSD. Am I right?

Best regards

Domen
Domen
Thomas Ritter
Respected Contributor

HBMM requires at least two nodes to be effective. Assuming you wont to avoid long disk merges should a node crash, then the other cluster members can reconcile the bitmaps with its data.
Heinz W Genhart
Honored Contributor

Hi Domen

I'm not sure from where the limitation comes, but I think it may be possible to define more than 4 path within the console variable bootdef_dev.

If this is not possible, then I would define 4 path to the systemdisk in bootdef_dev. For dump_dev I would define 2 path to the systemdisk and two path to the dump disk.

Regards

Heinz