108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How Are Process Names Generated?

Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

-k,
my welcome to vms forum.

I think, like other guys, you have a login code to set process name to RANGE*.
Look at SYS$MANAGER:SYLOGIN.COM, you should see the reason of it.

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Kevin Atchley
Occasional Advisor

Thank You All,

I think I am getting closer to understanding why it is happening, but now the questions is HOW is it happening. I have read that there can not be two processes with the same process name in the same group. So my question is, why/how can we have 20 processes with process name RANGE whan they are all logging in under the same usreid? I would assume they would have to be in different groups, and I'm sure we do have some local code in place that is changing process names and possible even group assignments, but how do I verify this? i.e. What information in SHO PROC /ALL/ID=xxxxxxxx points out that these two (or twenty) processes are in different groups?

Thanks to all,
(point will be assigned shortly)

-k
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Check the full process name surrounded by quotes with :
$ sh proc/id=xxx
Then you will see the blanks behind RANGE.

Wim
Wim
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Hi -k,
I have a crazy idea ...
- I guess you have some automatic procedure to assign process name;
- I guess this procedure has some bug
So look at follow code:
$! Set radix (may user name)
$ PROCNAME="RANGE"
$! Set counter (in wrong mode)
$ ID[0,16]=1
$! Set full process name
$ MYNAME=PROCNAME+ID
$! Now I set my process name
$ SET PROC/NAME="''MYNAME'"
I know it uneasy to read so after equal characters are MYNAME
This is not tha same but it's just to show how use undisplayable characters.

Antonio Vigliotti

Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Jeffery D. Urmann
Regular Advisor

Kevin,

In an effort to help you narrow your search, have a look at the login command procedure, if any, for the username Range:

$ Pipe MCR Authorize Show /Full Range | Search Sys$InPut "LGICMD"

Then Search this file for possible process name code as others above have suggested.

Enjoy,

--Jeff
Kevin Atchley
Occasional Advisor

Again, Thank You All,

Antonio, I have had some luck in creating duplicate process names for the same user name following some of the suggestions you left. I'm not sure if this is what we are doing, but I will start looking at our code to find out if this is the culprit.

Also, in response to several other suggestions i can say that the usernames are not being padded with spaces to give the "appearance" of similar process names. Doing a f$length( f$getjpi("pid","PRCNAM)) on the processes shows the process name for all of them is the same length. Also, there is nothing special in the system or user login procedures that is making these changes, but there is other local code to be looked at.

Again, I have heard that duplicate process names are not allowed in a specific group (which I know can be circumvented with a few tricks). I am still wanting to find out what this "group" is? Is this the UIC for the account that was logged in while the process name was being assigned? Is there some way to see what "group" the process is in, such as a SHO PROC /ALL? How can I verify that all of the processes are in different groups (or the same group)?

Thanks,
-k
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Kevin

$ SHOW SYS/FULL shows the UIC of the process as the first item in the 2nd line of each process display.

F$GETJPI("pid-of-process","GRP") shows the group-UIC as a decimal number.

SHOW PROC/ID=pid-of-process shows the User Identifier as: [group-name,username]

If there is no group-UIC (= [group,177777]) name defined for a group, only the username will be shown as the user identifier.

Volker.
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

-k,
now use brute force to search what you want.
$ SEARCH SYS$MANAGER:SYLOGIN.COM -
"SET","PRO","NAME" /MAT=AND
If necessary you can extend this search to all .com files of system
$ SEARCH SYS$DEVICE:[000000...]*.COM -
"SET","PRO","NAME" /MAT=AND/OUT=

Antonio Vigliotti

Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Kevin Atchley
Occasional Advisor

Thank you all for your generous help.

We have finally determined what was happening, and why we were seeing the odd behavior. As it turns out, when the users log into the server, they go into a custom written menu. The menu, among many other things, changes the UIC of the user's process as it traverses the menu. The issues we were seeing were nothing more than a timing issue. When the 1st user logged in, they started in group [00100] and had process name = user name; they went into menu and changed UIC to [00250]. The next user logged in and started in group [00100] with process name = user name; they went into menu and their UIC changed to [00250]. Now, when user #3 logged in with UIC [00100] and process name = user name, they DID NOT go into menu. So when user #4 logged in with UIC [00100], their process name did not change to match user name, it stayed the _LTAxxxx that VMS assigned it. And so on, and so on, and so on....

Thank you all for your help and the information you presented.

Have a good day,
-k
Kevin Atchley
Occasional Advisor

{see description of solution above}