Operating System - OpenVMS
1752803 Members
5634 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

How do print symbiont processes get created?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Geoff Hess
Advisor

How do print symbiont processes get created?

How can I restart a print symbiont detached process? Do I need to reboot?

Suddenly we're experiencing problems on some print queues printing landscape (SYSTEM-F-EXQUOTA, sometimes LBR-E-TOOMNYLIB). I noticed that one of the six stream symbionts (SYMBIOINT_36) has exhausted its remaining paging file quota (JPI_PAGFILCNT from $getjpi).
5 REPLIES 5
Richard Brodie_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: How do print symbiont processes get created?

Doing a STOP/QUE/RESET on its queue, or all of its queues should stop it. Then it should get created when the queue is restarted.

I would use STOP/ID on it, and START/Q before resorting to a reboot. I doubt that's a recommended technique though.

Geoff Hess
Advisor

STOP/QUEUE did not stop any of the print symbiont processes. Stopping the VMS Queue Manager will stop the print symbioints and starting the Queue Manager recreates the symbiont processes.
abrsvc
Respected Contributor

Please note that the /RESET qualifier is required in order to actually stop the queue. Without the reset, the queue will be paused. The reset will be immediate as well and halt the current job. Using the /NEXT qualifier will stop the queue after the completion of the current job.

Dan
Fekko Stubbe
Valued Contributor

Also, be aware that if you use DCPS, one symbiont can handle more than one queue. You need to stop/queue/reset all queues with the same symbiont. You can find the queues via the "show log *dcps*pid" command, and search for the PID of the symbiont process.
After you stopped all queues, the symbiont_nn shoud disappear.
Fekko
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Geoff,

PRINT-symbionts can handle multiple print-queues at the same time. Depending on the kind of print-symbiont (DCPS, LATSYM, PRTSMB or similar), there may be logical names, which can be set to determine the max. no print streams (=print queues) a single print symbiont does handle. These logicals are only used when STARTING the print-symbiont. Only if you stop ALL print-queues (with STOP/QUE/RESET), that a certain print-syombiont handles, the SYMBIONT_nn process will exit.

Volker.