Operating System - OpenVMS
1753767 Members
5397 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to analyze the TDC data on Itanium (OpenVMS 8.2-1)

SOLVED
Go to solution
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Kalle,

the ECP homepage says:

'Note that ECP Analyzer is not supported on OpenVMS Version 8.2 I64. The collections done on I64 can be analyzed using ECP Analyzer running on an OpenVMS Alpha system with TDC installed on it.'

I would doubt that ECP will be ported to I64.

Volker.
Martin Vorlaender
Honored Contributor

Volker & Kalle,

you both are right.

Seems I have some work to do - to read native TDC files from Java (if the file format is documented).

Sorry, Edmond, for the misleading post.

cu,
Martin
Karl Rohwedder
Honored Contributor

Martin,

there is a SDK installed with TDC, it should contain some information of the data structures.

regards kalle
clarklk
Advisor

re ECP/TDC V2.2...

ECP V5.6A is now available for download from

http://www.hp.com/products/openvms/ecp

It will work with TDC V2.1-84 (latest and, hopefully, final TDC V2.1 release) and with TDC V2.2 (V2.2-108 is the current V2.2 release).

re TDC/CSV...

TDC V2.2 does not produce CSV output. That capability has been on engineering's "should do it and will do it when time permits" list for a good long time (time hasn't yet permitted).

If you require that TDC produce .CSV output, you should submit a formal request/requirement -- either through your formal support channel or through the feedback link that will soon be added to the TDC download page, accessible from

http://www.hp.com/products/openvms/tdc

Formal requests from the field and from other VMS engineering groups (ECP, OVPA, T4) tend to be assigned higher priorities during project planning and triage than engineering's "should do" lists.

If you require a TDC/CSV capability "soon," it should be relatively straightforward to build your own using the TDC API and SDK. One of the sample files included in the SDK is TDC_CONVERT_PROCESSOR.C, which can dump labeled values of any/all TDC metrics from any/all TDC data records into a text file. Using that as a starting point, modify the output to create CSV records, customized exactly to your requirements, from TDC data (either live or in a file).

For sample output produced by TDC_CONVERT_PROCESSOR.C...

Create text-listing data (PRO and SYS records in this example) from a TDC file:

$ TDC EXTRACT/CONVERT=(PRO,SYS)/FORMAT=LIST/OUTPUT=TEST_FILE.OUT tdcfile.TDC$DAT

Create text-listing data (PRO and SYS records) "live" with no TDC file:

$ TDC COLLECT/COUNT=n/NOCOLLECTION/CONVERT=(PRO,SYS)/FORMAT=LIST/OUTPUT=TEST_LIVE.OUT PRO,SYS

[omit /NOCOLLECTION to get both a text file and a TDC data file]

Follow the instructions in the programming guide to build and utilize your CSV-creating module with TDC.

You might also want to take a look at SDK sample file TDC$TEST_DELTA.C, which manipulates "delta" records (values are differences rather than absolutes). You could combine that sort of functionality with your CSV-creating code to generate CSV output values that are differences, which might be more convenient to work with in your end application.

Lee Clark
OpenVMS engineering