Operating System - OpenVMS
1753447 Members
5069 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to change MAIL FROM: in VMS mail?

Tony Schroeder
Occasional Advisor

How to change MAIL FROM: in VMS mail?

I have some processes that send text messages to my cell phone if certain things happen. Recently, my cell carrier started refusing the e-mail becauase the mail is coming from 'msys.domain.com', where domain.com = our real company name, and msys = our VMS machine name. I can use a /substitute_domain command in SMTP config to use our real domain name, but then our VMS machine tries to send it right back into VMS mail and not out to the STMP server. Is there any way to 'spoof' the MAIL FROM: in VMS mail?
8 REPLIES 8
Andy Bustamante
Honored Contributor

Which TCPIP product are you using? Assuming HP's TCPIP are you using /subst=(hidden,name=xxx.domain.com)?

You should also check the file SYS$SYSROOT:[TCPIP$SMTP]TCPIP$SMTP_LOCAL_ALIASES.TXT . Any host listed here will configure smtp to deliver mail locally. That is if host1.mydomain.com and host2.mydomain.com are listed in this file, the VMS system will attempt to handle mail to user at either domain. You'll need to send mail to user@host3.mydomain.com.

Welcome to VMS forums,

Andy
If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over? Reach me at first_name + "." + last_name at sysmanager net
Tony Schroeder
Occasional Advisor

I am using the native TCP/IP in VMS. I don't have an aliases file. What is the '/subst' command? Is that available in VMS?
Andy Bustamante
Honored Contributor

Excuse me, /subst is short for /substitute_domain under TCPIP.

Are you sending mail to a different domain than the VMS system is configured for? Use

$ TCPIP SHOW CONFIG NAME

Andy
If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over? Reach me at first_name + "." + last_name at sysmanager net
Peter Zeiszler
Trusted Contributor

"tcpip show config name" shows the bind name.
If you want to replace it with something else you do:
set config smtp/SUBSTITUTE_DOMAIN="(whatever you want)"
Peter Zeiszler
Trusted Contributor

Sorry -- it should be :
tcpip set config smtp /SUBSTITUTE_DOMAIN="(whatever you want)"

Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Tony,

the activate changes done with TCPIP SET CONF SMTP, you need to stop and (re)start the SMTP service. This is best done using the @SYS$MANAGER:TCPIP$CONFIG menue (-> Client -> SMTP).

Volker.
Dirk Bogaerts
Frequent Advisor

Tony,

I've a similar problem and I use the logical TCPIP$SMTP_FROM to make the Mail-FROM comply with company rules :
DEFINE/PROCES TCPIP$SMTP_FROM "xxxx.yyyyyy@zzzzzz.com"
MAIL /SUBJ="my_message" NL: "@MAIL.DIS"

Watch out for spam-filters which of course don't like mail-spoofing !

Hope this helps,
Dirk
John Gillings
Honored Contributor

Some sites consider TCPIP$SMTP_FROM to be a security risk. Consider:

$ DEFINE/PROC TCPIP$SMTP_FROM "the.boss@mycompany.com"
$ MAIL NL:/SUBJECT="You're fired" my.enemy@mycompany.com

True, this kind of abuse could be trivially traced back to the source, but that doesn't prevent the kind of damage that could be caused.

TCPIP Services has another logical name TCPIP$SMTP_PROHIBIT_USER_HEADERS which, if defined /SYSTEM/EXEC will prevent TCPIP$SMTP_FROM from working.

If you want to make all OpenVMS users have FROM addresses that conform with corporate policy, while preventing abuse of this feature, you could write a privileged image, executed at login time that works out the correct address for the user and defines a process logical name in EXEC mode with /NAME_ATTRIBUTES=NO_ALIAS.
A crucible of informative mistakes