Is there a way to do this?

Thanks
9 REPLIES 9
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: How to change name equivalent of UIC

Cindy,
that sounds like you had 2 users with the same UICs and changed one of them.

$ SET DEFAULT SYS$SYSTEM
$ RUN AUTHORIZE
UAF> add/identifier SDIMMICK /value=uic=[100,53]
UAF> exit
Dale A. Marcy
Trusted Contributor

Minor correction to UWE's reply:

$ SET DEFAULT SYS$SYSTEM
$ RUN AUTHORIZE
UAF> add/identifier SDIMMICK /value=uic=[100,53]
UAF> exit

change the /value portion to read:
/value=uic:[100,53]

the second = should be a :
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Dale,
the online help indeed says to use ':', but two '=' work for me on OpenVMS Alpha V6.2-1H3 and V7.3-1.
Dale A. Marcy
Trusted Contributor

Uwe,

My memory may be faulty, but I thought I had failed using the = at some point. It was a while ago and we have different VAX and Alpha systems at different VMS versions, so I cannot provide any details. If my memory is wrong, I may just also have seen it in the help and never tried the = assuming it would fail.

Actually, I just tried on several of our systems and the = worked on all of them, so I guess my memory is faulty and I always just followed the format indicated in the help.
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Uwe:

If your memory is failing, mine is in the same way. It indeed used to NOT work on Vax, but I remember my surprise when I 'mistakenly' used "=" on AXP, which I only realised when I noted it did NOT produce an error. (behavior now is just like SET PROTECT=W=RE and the likes).

Ciny,

just depending on whether your uic group 100 was already named, but if it was NOT, then you also need
UAF> add/ident develop/val=uic:[100,*]/attrib=resource
(note the "*" as pseudo-member value, and DON'T forget the RESOURCE attribute.

fwiw,

Jan
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Dale A. Marcy
Trusted Contributor

Jan,

Thanks for the confirmation. One of the systems I tested tonight was a VAXStation 4000-60 at VMS V7.1 and it accepted the command without error.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

I am very sure I have always used '==', even on VAX/VMS V4.*. I have looked up an old VMS notes conference from DeCUS Munich and there was a note from 1993 mentioning '=='. Well, never mind.

Has anybody time and interest to try ':='? No, I don't know know the result, yet.

Jan,
are you sure about the ressource attribute? I have never seen that set by default on a general identifier for the UIC group. Correct me if I am wrong, but my memory tells me that that attribute is used when a directory or file is _owned_ by that identifier (a little bit like Unix groups).
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Uwe:

right again (one half). I was able to find a group identifier name without RESOURCE attrib.
I even was able to create a file with that identifier as owner, as long as QUOTA is not enabled.
However, if you want your users to be able to create files owned by a group by default, THEN the RESOURCE comes into play.
It became so implented when resource uses were butgetted and had to be accounted.
Somehow it has become so ingrained that I never considered otherwise...

Jan
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Jan,
I had wanted to point out that the RESOURCE attribute is not the default for a group identifier.

Of course you can not create a file owned by a resource identifier when you have no disk quota entry or missing the EXQUOTA privilege! An identifier is just a 32-bit value (like the UIC), but it has the most-significant-bit set.

I have used resource identifiers myself in VMS V4.7 and I understand that it is easy to forget that not all things are set up the same way in every place - happens to me, too...