5692 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to check OpenVMS through SNMP Browser

Alok_Kumar
Occasional Advisor

How to check OpenVMS through SNMP Browser

Hi,

I can see through command "tcpip show conf snmp/fu" that SNMP is snabled on system but when I connect through 'getif' I am unable to connect to the system. I mean it does not respond to MIB Browser too.

Is there any separate way for OpenVMS for SNMP browser to connect.

Thanks,
Alok
5 REPLIES 5
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

To test if SNMP is working :
mc tcpip$snmp_request [node] [password] getnext -l -w 9 1

where password normally = public.

To enable it : ucx enable servi snmp.
Your commanbd only shows the config, not that it is enabled.

Wim
Wim
Alok_Kumar
Occasional Advisor

My command output shows something like

Community Type Address_list

public Read 0.0.0.0

Doesn't it mean that SNMP is enabled?

When I run "mc tcpip$snmp_request cpqmega public getnext -l -w 9 1" it gives output as 'No Reply.'

Main thing, getif stuff can be run from remote computer, suppose my desktop by giving IP of system to be checked. Is there anyway for OpenVMS that can be checked for remote computer.

Thanks for your response.
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

no reply means 1) bad password 2) bad routing 3) not enabled.

If ucx ping [node] works, 2) can be removed from the list. 1) is not the answer because your password is correct (community public).
Thus 3) remains. ucx ena servi snmp would solve it (or use ucx$config menu driver to do it, which will do config too if not yet set up correctly).

Wim
Wim
Hoff
Honored Contributor

snmp is snmp is snmp; when set up and running, it works.

The following is not intended to be rude.

As for a starting point: please always include the relevant product names and product versions. For cases such as this, also include the particular command(s) used and the errors (if any) received. And the platform(s).

If you're omitting these details from any question you've posed -- and you're omitting them regularly -- you are simply serving to slow the answers to your question. Look back at your previous questions -- what are we asking? These are automatic questions. Failure to include these means we have to ask you about these, and which means you get answers you want -- more slowly.

So. What's your configuration?

And as for your problem statement, this could implies a network connectivity issue, a community string problem, or (most likely) that the OpenVMS snmp server isn't configured. But what's going on is something I can't tell. Again, those details are slowing you down on your way to an answer.

With TCP/IP Services product, the configuration process is both a set-up step in the configuration tool and a trip through the contents of the configuration files over in the SYS$SYSDEVICE:[TCPIP$SNMP] directory. If the following documentation doesn't resolve this and you've verified network connectivity, then please post up some details of the commands used and the errors received:

http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/83final/6526/6526pro_037.html#snmp_chap

If you're not using TCP/IP Services, then you'll want to look in the documentation for whichever IP stack you're using.

Hoff
Honored Contributor

The view from Mac OS X (which has all of this stuff baked in) into an OpenVMS Alpha V8.3 host with the associated TCP/IP Services installed and configured per the docs...

$ snmpwalk -c public 10.1.2.1
SNMPv2-MIB::sysDescr.0 = STRING: [expurgated] Alpha OpenVMS V8.3 HP TCP/IP Services for OpenVMS

nb: The TCP/IP Services snmp version is presently snmpv2, which is one of the wildly insecure versions of snmp; I'd not suggest using anything prior to snmpv3 over an untrusted LAN.