Operating System - OpenVMS
1753760 Members
4903 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: How to copy a DVD installation disk to a LD to use with infoserver to upgrade a OpenVMS system

Donald Hill
Advisor

How to copy a DVD installation disk to a LD to use with infoserver to upgrade a OpenVMS system

The VMS upgrade and installation manual recommends coping an installation DVD to a LD drive and booting from the LD drive when using the infoserver utility.  My question is what program or utility do you use to copy the DVD to the LD drive, COPY, BACKUP, CDRECORD, or other.  Searching the web gives examples for booting from the LD drive, and creating the LD drive but not how to copy to the drive to duplicate a DVD.  There is discussion on copying from the drive to create a CD/DVD but not the other way around.

I am trying to upgrade an OpenVMS 8.3 RX2600 using one of our RX2660 machines running OpenVMS 8.4 which have the DVD drive.  I want to boot from the LD drive using the INFOSERVER utility.

3 REPLIES 3
MarkOfAus
Valued Contributor

Re: How to copy a DVD installation disk to a LD to use with infoserver to upgrade a OpenVMS system

So, it's not as easy as using backup/image?

I refer to Hoff's related stuff: http://labs.hoffmanlabs.com/node/343

Hoff
Honored Contributor

The OpenVMS manuals generally refer to the hardware InfoServer, and don't generally reference nor make particular use of LD, nor do the manuals typically reference the host-based InfoServer.

Here's something closer to what you want: OpenVMS Tips: Using Host-based InfoServer to Boot OpenVMS and How To: Copy Disk, CD and DVD which should get you were you want.  Also the boot block article, if you really need that.  But since the InfoServer boot sequence doesn't use the disk block, that probably won't be necessary.

Eberhard Heuser
Frequent Advisor

You don't have create an image:

mount/for <dvd-drive>

copy <dvd-drive> disk:[path]openvms_v8x.dsk

ld conn disk:[path]openvms_v8x.dsk lda1:

mou/ov=id lda1:

Hope this helps

Eberhard