Operating System - OpenVMS
1753428 Members
4755 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to enter @ with a german keyboard on an AXPPci33?

Frank Petersen

How to enter @ with a german keyboard on an AXPPci33?

Hello,

recently I revived an old AXPPci33 board under OpenVMS 7.2. As I am in Germany, I have only German keyboards at my disposal. My problem is that, if I enter "set language 36" in the SRM console for a US keyboard, I have to remember the US layout. If I do a "set language 32" for a German keyboard, I can no longer enter the @-sign. It should bw available as AltGr-q, but that does just produce a lowercase q. Any idea what goes wrong here? Or how I can enter the @-sign with language set to 32?

Regards,
Frank
8 REPLIES 8
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

As an alternative to AltGr-q you could try Ctrl-Alt-q ?

fwiw,
Hein.

Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Frank,

try a a

Are you talking about entering the '@' at the SRM console (>>> prompt) or while running OpenVMS ?

Volker.
Frank Petersen

Hein, Volker,

sorry, none of your approaches worked. I could easily live without the @ on the SRM console if I only had it available inside OpenVMS. Without it, I have no idea how to even start a command procedure...

Regards,
Frank
Hoff
Honored Contributor

The Alternate Graphic key is a PC keyboard key, and seen on some other boxes including on some Sun keyboards. This implies that the keyboard in question is a random German-language PC (or Sun?) keyboard, and not an LK-series keyboard.

Your subsequent response indicates that the central issue is with an unspecified DECwindows (CDE? Motif?), and that the issue arises once the box is booted and running, so I'll ignore the console-level "fun" that can (also) arise with this case. The usual workaround here was for PC keyboards was to set DECwindows on the box to an LK443 keyboard (101 keys) or to an LK444 (102 keys) keyboard, and to see how far you get with that. IIRC, there are some versions of DECwindows also have a PCX-something-or-other keyboard or three offered, too.

With old and weird and unusual keyboards, you'll sometimes need to use the Alt-Space chord to get to the DECwindows Compose sequences.

On the German variation of the typical 102-key PC keyboard, try the AltGr-Q chord to get to the @ character.

You'll almost certainly have issues with keymapping here beyond what you're seeing here, too.

And in the entirely likely case that I've gone off the rails with my assumptions and guessed wrong here, please post up a few more details around the keyboard and the environment.
Hoff
Honored Contributor

And yes, your note indicates AltGr q chord, and with this stuff, casing can (sometimes) matter. Try the AltGr capital Q chord.
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Frank,

a workaround for OpenVMS is to type some DCL .COM procedure, which includes an '@' and use cut & paste (form DECwindows or terminal emulator) to insert the '@' into the DCL comand line, to be able to start a command procedure.

Volker.
Frank Petersen

Hoff,

you are right. It's a plain, vanilla PC-Keyboard. kbd_hardware_type in the SRM console is set to PCXAL. I've tried all possible combinations of qualifiers (Ctrl, Alt, AltGr, Shift) with the Q Key, without success.

As the memory the board needs (72pin Simms with ECC) is a bit hard to come by, I'm currentlty stuck with 32MB, so no DECwindows for me... pure console-level fun :)

Frank
Frank Petersen

Volker,

yes I know. And I was quite happy to see that there is already a "SHUTDOWN" symbol declared, as calling the shutdown command procedure without it would have been difficult...
No cut and paste for me as I currently can run DECwindows due to memory limitations. But I can edit command procedures using the US layout, so not all is lost...
Is there a possibility to switch the keyboard layout on the fly when already logged in?

Frank