108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to get Installed Products path and details

SOLVED
Go to solution
Alok_Kumar
Occasional Advisor

How to get Installed Products path and details

Through DCL command, how can I check what all Installed products are there on the system and what is the installation path.
Suppose I have a database installed, so I need to get complete list of product and path through DCL command.

Thanks,

Alok
12 REPLIES 12
Kris Clippeleyr
Honored Contributor

Alok,

What about

PRODUCT SHOW HISTORY

and/or look in the file
SYS$UPDATE:VMSINSTAL.HISTORY

Regards,
Kris (aka Qkcl)
I'm gonna hit the highway like a battering ram on a silver-black phantom bike...
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

It depends on how the product was installed.

$ PROD SHOW PROD (add /FULL if more info is required)

will show the products installed using the PRODUCT utility. These products came as .PCSI kits. Most VMS products (not all!) are released this way.

The installation path can be obtained using

$ PIPE PROD SHOW OBJECT ** | sea sys$pipe directory

It will show the directories where is installed. (It's quite common that products are installed over a number of directories).

There is a way to get informatio for products installed using VMS$INSTAL but I lost memmory wheer and how. However, a DIR SYS$HELP:*.RELEASE* shows what products mauy eventually be installed.
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager
Alok_Kumar
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for response. But this command does not show me all Product installed. It seems that it only gives output related to VAX products.

Also, is there any DCL command through which we can see Install location of these products rather than looking into file?

Regards,

Alok
Kumar_Sanjay
Regular Advisor

Alok,

please type the file vmsinstal.history;
you will get all there history.

Regards
Sanjay Kumar
Alok_Kumar
Occasional Advisor

Hi Sanjay,

I am just two days old to OpenVMS env and there seems lots difference between standard UNIX commands and OpenVMS commands,
Can you please provide exact command which I need to fire on screen.

Thanks,

Alok
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

Well, hopefully you realized now that VMS <> Unix. The only good solution to understand VMS is reading the VMS user guide and DCL manuals. Or even better: get a course, learn to work with the system, and then get to system administration.

The normal way for isntalling software on OpenVMS is using PRODUCT (shorthand: PROD) or VMSINSTAL. The first will store installation information in it's own database, as will VMSINSTAL. Both have been mentioned before.
If other products are installed by another way (eg. just extracting a ZIP file) theer is no other way than just scan the disks and examine the contents. DIR :[000000]*.DIR is often a good point.
Anothe possibility is screening the system logicals: $ SHOW LOG /SYSTEM/FULL eand examine the output, and use it (combined with the directory output) to locate applications.
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

If you have old messy systems (I had) you can summarize the product info by executing the enclosure.

It removes install+deinstall of a product of the listing and sorts per product name.

And of course anyone could have installed stuff by copying exe's, installing backup save sets, zip files etc without any log.

Wim
Wim
Jon Pinkley
Honored Contributor
Solution

Alok,

I assume this is for some proof of configuration control. If that's the case, you need to get a definition of what a "product" is. Is it any executable image (program) that exists on the box? Any program that can be executed by any user on the system?

What VMS keeps track of are products that are installed using either the product install (PCSI kits) or the SYS$UPDATE:VMSINSTAL.COM command procedure (script in UNIX terms) (VMSINSTAL kits).

If third party products use their own installation procedure, then you have to track that with some other procedure.

I don't think the problem is really any different than with UNIX. How do you do it there? There are probably more tools available on UNIX to detect common "products", but my guess is that they probably need to "find" the executable files and compare them against a database.

And as with UNIX (really any O/S), time stamps on files can't be trusted, since they can be set to arbitrary values (at least by the owner or a privileged user).

Jon
it depends