1753443 Members
5060 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to get an HP salesperson

SOLVED
Go to solution

How to get an HP salesperson

We currently do not have an HP contract for our old VAX7630/VMS 7.1 system so do not have a contact. We are trying to estimate what it will cost to upgrade our internal custom applications to VMS/IA64 but so far have been unable to get any pricing for the VMS and apps licenses we need. Even one of the resellers I deal with is unable to get pricing for anything but the base Operating Environments. Below I have listed the products I would be looking for and the licenses I currently have on the system.

OpenVMS/IA64 v8.3-1H1
C v7.3
CMS (DECSet)
COBOL v2.9
DCPS v2.7
DECFonts
FORMS v4.0
TCPIP v5.6

Active licenses on node NOAH:

------- Product ID -------- ---- Rating ----- -- Version --
Product Producer Units Avail Activ Version Release Termination
BASE-VMS-250136 DEC 465 0 A 0.0 (none) (none)
C DEC 100 0 100 0.0 (none) (none)
CMS DEC 5400 F 0 0.0 (none) (none)
COBOL DEC 5400 F 0 0.0 (none) (none)
DCPS-OPEN DEC 4800 F 0 0.0 (none) (none)
DCPS-PLUS DEC 4800 F 0 0.0 (none) (none)
DECFONTS-SY DEC 200 0 100 0.0 (none) (none)
FORMS DEC 100 0 100 0.0 (none) (none)
NET-APP-SUP-200 DEC 4800 F 0 0.0 (none) (none)
UCX DEC 5000 F 0 0.0 (none) (none)
VAXCLUSTER DEC 2000 E 0 0.0 (none) (none)
VMS-USER DEC 800 A 0 0.0 (none) (none)
8 REPLIES 8
Art Wiens
Respected Contributor

You should be able to get some answers out of the pre-sales group:

1-800-277-8988

Have a look here:

http://h20219.www2.hp.com/services/cache/77341-0-0-225-121.html

and/or here:

http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/contact/phone_assist.html#section2

and/or here:

http://www.hp.com/large/contact/enterprise/index.html?key=1-1D8NV&mcc=DNMT

Call your local HP office? Must be some sort of sales person there.

Cheers,
Art
Andy Bustamante
Honored Contributor
Solution

Contact Sujatha . Ramani at HP Com and ask to be contacted by an OpenVMS Ambassador and sales critter.

Another option would be to consider emulation, Charon-VAX, for example, running a virtual VMS system. There are resellers here.

You can also check my profile for contact info and I can pass on reseller info. They may have better luck.

Andy Bustamante

If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over? Reach me at first_name + "." + last_name at sysmanager net
Brad McCusker
Respected Contributor

If Sujatha doesn't help, send me a mail and I can forward your contact to the ambassador in your area. An ambassador will be able to help you either directly, or, direct you to a reseller that knows how to sell VMS and can help you.

Contact me at mccusker at sciinc . com

Brad McCusker
Software Concepts International
www.sciinc.com
Brad McCusker
Software Concepts International
Steve Reece_3
Trusted Contributor

It's worth looking at the licensing white papers for licensing on Integrity servers. Whilst the compilers aren't included in any other licenses, the cluster license is included with the MCOE license on Integrity and the DCPS products are now rolled in to the VMS license too.

The software house that I worked for typically sold Alphas with the base license, a user license, a DECnet license, a DW-Motif license and a TCP/IP license. These are all included in the operating environment license, even at Foundation Operating Environment level.

Steve

Art: Thank you for the links, I had seen and tried the contact form already. I will try the phone numbers if I hear nothing from Sujatha. I have not had good luch finding people who know how to spell VMS the few times I have tried calling in the past.

Andy: Thank you for the reminder about Sujatha... that is the step I am trying right now.

Brad: Thank you, I will keep that information if these other measures fail.

Steve: I have read the whitepapers and am aware of how the products are grouped. I just have not been able to get much pricing. The one reseller to quote used the MCOE because of the clustering. When I mentioned I only wanted clustering and HBVS out of that package, he then told me he has been unable to get the ala carte pricing for those products or anything other than the OE's (which I got on the web without help if I want to buy the hardware through HP as well).
Steve Reece_3
Trusted Contributor

>>>Steve: I have read the whitepapers and am aware of how the products are grouped. I just have not been able to get much pricing. The one reseller to quote used the MCOE because of the clustering. When I mentioned I only wanted clustering and HBVS out of that package, he then told me he has been unable to get the ala carte pricing for those products or anything other than the OE's (which I got on the web without help if I want to buy the hardware through HP as well).

Last time I had access to pricing, it was cheaper to go for the MCOE license than for the FOE license and point products for clustering and HBVS.
Your reseller needs to have access to the SmartPortal and the pricing pages therein. They/you also need to verify that the products that you want have been ported to Integrity. I'm sure C has been and fairly sure that CMS and COBOL will have been. Forms I don't know, nor DECFonts.
TCPIP is part of the FOE, EOE and MCOE license.
Hoff
Honored Contributor

If you're looking for product list prices or a baseline quote, the path to that stuff used to be the Enterprise Configurator Tool (now gone?), or to download and install the Microsoft Windows Product Bulletin tool:

http://hp.com/go/productbulletin

The cluster license is hugely expensive, whether you go a la
carte or MCOE. Avoid it if you do not need it, or go for a trade-in where those are available.

If you wish and in all deference to our HP hosts, contact me offline and I'll pass along a clueful-reseller recommendation.

Steve: I'm not even sure we need DECFonts and/or Forms at this point, but would need that information before the project began.

Hoff: I had tried that application once but could not figure out how to find the applications. I am downloading now and will try again.