4995 Online
108784 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

How to install a patch

Shehan
Super Advisor

How to install a patch

Hi all
We want to install "VMS732_FIBRE_SCSI-V1200" patch into a Alpha DS10 cluster system running open VMS 7.3-2.

As we don't have enough skill, please help us to go ahead with the patch installation.

Regards
Niru
9 REPLIES 9
Karl Rohwedder
Honored Contributor

Re: How to install a patch

Under a privileged account (e.g. SYSTEM) use the command:
$ PRODUCT INSTALL VMS732_FIBRE_SCSI /SAVE [/SOURCE=kit-location].
The /SOURCE is not nec. if the kit is in your current directory or if PCSI$SOURCE is defined.

regards Kalle
Richard W Hunt
Valued Contributor

The only thing I would add to that is to first extract the release notes. I'm also going to abbreviate, which is allowed with the PCSI-related commands:

$ PROD EXTR RELEASE VMS732_FIBRE_SCSI/VERS=12.0/FILE=[]FS.TXT

This puts the release notes into FS.TXT in the current directory.

Review the release notes to verify that you meet the prerequisites. Do other patches (such as the UPDATE patch, most common of the prerequisites) to get to the desired starting point, THEN do the PROD INST VMS732_FIBRE_SCSI/VERS=12.0 to get the job done.
Sr. Systems Janitor
Hoff
Honored Contributor

The patch kit (also known as an "ECO kit") release notes mentioned in the earlier replies here are also available for direct read access and for download from the URL:

ftp://ftp.itrc.hp.com/openvms_patches/alpha/V7.3-2/VMS732_FIBRE_SCSI-V1300.txt

This is the direct path into the text file. You'll find the current V7.3-2 patches and patch kit release notes in the same directory.

The Release Notes include the installation instructions, and include the names of the prerequisite patch kits.

To learn more about the whole environment around patches, the OpenVMS patch frequently asked questions (FAQ) is here:

http://64.223.189.234/node/348

The (more general) OpenVMS FAQ is here:

http://64.223.189.234/node/1

Hoff
Honored Contributor

BTW, the V13.0 patch kit is current. Not the V12.0 kit.
Shehan
Super Advisor

Hi Friend

My system is cluster with BA356 Storage shelf. How do I install patch into two cluster nodes.

Is to be installed either simultaneously or one at a time?

Regards
Niru
Martin Vorlaender
Honored Contributor

>>>
My system is cluster with BA356 Storage shelf. How do I install patch into two cluster nodes.

Is to be installed either simultaneously or one at a time?
<<<

It depends on whether your systems have separate system disks or share a common system disk. In the case of a shared system disk, you only need to install the patch once.

After installing it, you probably need to reboot the systems, although this can take place one after the other (so-called "Rolling Reboot").

HTH,
Martin
Shehan
Super Advisor

Hi Martin

Thanks for the information. OS is installed separately in both local hard disk of nodes.

As you explained, if it is installed separately , we need to install patch for both nodes. Isn't it?

Regards
Niru
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

As there are two system disks then login to each system and install the patch.

hi ,

u intall the patches one node at a time .. this is the best practice ..

patch installation is the simple one ..
before install the patch or any product , u should have the valid backup of your system disk.otherwise it will create the problem..and check the patch documents what things need to be changed in the system side ((any thing releated to UAF), and what privilages are reqired and weather this patch suitable for this operating system version.

if u install the patch from Cd drive, execute the following steps ..
set def dqa0:[000000.patch]

(assume u patches are in the "patch" directory)

product install * (this command lists all available pathces ,and ask u a question which one u needs to installed.select the option and answer the questions one by one ..
atlast your patch will be installed)

or u want to install the patch from your shared storage disk, copy the patch files to the command disk.execute the follow steps ..

set def $1$dka110:[000000.patch]
(assume commmon disk "dka110" and your patches are in the "patch" directory)

after that enter following command ..
product install *

(and refer the above steps)