1752590 Members
2987 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

How to set boot flags on UEFI Shell

Clark Powell
Frequent Advisor

How to set boot flags on UEFI Shell

I have set the boot flags as shown below but when I boot the system comes up as if it has boot flags set to 0,0.  The documentation hints that this approach should work but clearly I've left something out. 

Press ESC in 1 seconds to skip startup.nsh, any other key to continue.
Shell> set
    vms_flags :
  * path      : .;fs0:\;fs0:\efi\boot;fs0:\efi\tools;fs1:\;fs1:\efi\boot;fs1:\es

Shell> set vms_flags 0,1

Shell> set
  * path      : .;fs0:\;fs0:\efi\boot;fs0:\efi\tools;fs1:\;fs1:\efi\boot;fs1:\es
    vms_flags : 0,1

thanks

Clark Powell

1 REPLY 1
fhsjvl
Frequent Advisor

Re: How to set boot flags on UEFI Shell

Do you perform your boot interactively or do you wait for the first entry in the boot menu to start? In the latter case it could be that "-flags 0,0" is specified in that entry.

You can specify the boot flags in the boot entries and with vms_flags. It is unclear which of both takes precedence.

It is a mysterious thing. You are not the only one to see this problem. I have heard of several occasion where people having Integrity servers had this problem. Some of them configured their system for conversational boot but the system did a normal boot. Other persons wanted a normal boot but the system went conversational. I never heard a real explanation or solution for this problem.

According to the manuals you should give the command as: set vms_flags "0,1" (with quotes) but it seems very unlikely that this would make any difference.