108808 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: IBM SAN Volume Controller

SOLVED
Go to solution
James Cristofero
Occasional Advisor

IBM SAN Volume Controller

Any have exposure or use IBM SAN Volume Controller with XP24000's or other platforms?
3 REPLIES 3
marsh_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

hi,

seems a strange (and expensive) combination IBM SVC with an XP24K as both do san virtualization , if is this a general storage query then you would be better served posting in the storage forum here :-

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/familyhome.do?familyId=120&admit=109447626+1248767148981+28353475

does OpenVMS come into this at all and if so what are the versions/architectures involved and the reason for asking the question.

hth

James Cristofero
Occasional Advisor

OpenVMS is invovled with the XP24000's. IBM SVC support is stating that this is supported.

However, I'm looking to see if there's any experience that may be familiar with such a configuration before we attempt to deploy it.
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

i had an alphaserver ds20e / vms v7.3-1 using svc volumes at my last place, no real issues, as far as i remember proper support for vms started at v7.3-2 (which was current at the time svc first came out) and onwards , some support for v7.3-1 was added after release 9 i believe there was a limitation in the number of luns able to be used).
svc is pretty quick but the licenses come in at some scary prices.
sounds like you already have an xp24k why not use that to virtualize your other storage ?

fwiw