Go to solution
Eric_369
Advisor

INSTALL

When I install one of my applications using the command:

INSTALL REPLACE/LOG/HEADER XXX.EXE

I get the following error:

%SYSTEM-F-SECTBLFUL, process or global section table is full

Can anyone tell the best approach to solving this problem so I can install more applications?
4 REPLIES 4
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: INSTALL

You can view the current use with INSTALL:

$ install list /summ/glo

Summary of Memory Global Sections

581 Global Sections Used, 166416/116816 Global Pagelets Used/Unused

You can view the current limits with SYSGEN:

$ mcr sysgen show gbl
Parameter Name Current Default Min. Max. Unit Dynamic
-------------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ---- -------
GBLSECTIONS 631 250 80 65535 Sections
GBLPAGES 283224 30720 10240 -1 Pagelets D
internal value 17702 1920 640 -1 Pages D
GBLPAGFIL 10000 128 32 -1 Pages D

You can SET the new value with SYSGEN
Since this is not Dynamic param (on my 7.1 box) you may need a reboot.

You shoudl read up on SYSGEN and AUTOGEN and FEEDBACK before doing so.

As a workaround, and maybe as a sollution you can check with INSTALL LIST /GLO to see what is used but not too critical and remove those that are not needed to hard considering performance and privilleges.
On my box I might take out some little use UCX and DECW component as well as unused 'legacy' tools like 'PHONE' (in our case).

hth,
Hein.
John Gillings
Honored Contributor

Eric,

GBLSECTIONS is a relatively cheap parameter. Make sure you have plenty of headroom, at least 40% free once your system has everything started. You will need to reboot to increase GBLSECTIONS.

Now that GBLPAGES is dynamic it's not as critical, but again, it's relatively cheap, so there's no significant disadvantage to having some healthy headroom.
A crucible of informative mistakes
Arch_Muthiah
Honored Contributor

Eric,

Increasing the global sections would be the best answer.

When you use Install REPLACE command, better we can make sure this INSTALL is for modifying the attributes which have been used while CREATing this image. If we simply REPLACE image without any changes in its attributes, then the new image retains the same old attributes, also the global sections allocated earlier are locked, no process can access this memory as it had been marked for deletion at end by this INSTALL process.

So my suggestion would be REMOVE the image first. So the image├в s entry on the KNOWN FILE LIST and any GBL sections created for the image are freed or try increase the GBL sections, PRCSCTCNT sysgen params or increase the difference between WSEXTENT and WSMAX params (I did this when I got this same error with Cpq Secure Browser installation).

Thanks
Archunan
Regards
Archie
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

$ WRITE SYS$OUTPUT F$GETSYI("FREE_GBLSECTS")
will tell you directly how many are free.