108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ISTAT 30 error

SOLVED
Go to solution
LM_2
Frequent Advisor

ISTAT 30 error

We have a series of applications written in FORTRAN that had been working under VMS 7.2 on a ES40

Upon migrating to VMS 7.3-2 running on an ES45, users started encountering errors that are reporting as FORTRAN status = 30.
All file protections are set to World RWED access as well as the dirtectory structures. All user account quotas have been verified as matching those in use under 7.2

These errore occurs randomly, on different files, across several users and cannot be replicated upon demand. It appears to be a function of "time" - in other words - the longer use utilizes the application - the more likely it is to occur.

Within the FORTRAN modules - we are using the following general flow

Enter the module
- Call LIB$GET_LUN
- Open a file using that LUN
- Do some work on the file
- Close the LUN
- Call LIB$FREE_LUN
Exit the module

has anyone seen this or have any suggestions. My programmers are ready to pull out their hair!
29 REPLIES 29
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

LM,

There are many possibilities. I presume that your programming staff has reviewed the complete description of a return of 30 as described in the Fortran Programmer's Guide?

Although it is not particularly common, I have seen cases where a programming practice that was in the "gray" area of conformance with the specification became an actual error in a later release.

It is difficult to diagnose this problem without additional information. A review of the sources may be in order (certainly, if the problem is occurring in some seemingly random fashion, it may also be appropriate to make some provisions to capture details of each failure so that more extensive diagnosis can be done). Disclaimer: My firm, as do the firms of several other active participants in this forum, provides services in this area.

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

LM,

no reason for your programmers to loose their hair ;-)

You need to improve your error detection and handling:

CALL OPEN(...,STATUS=ISTAT,...)
IF (ISTAT .NE. 0) THEN
CALL ERRSNS (, RMS_STS, RMS_STV,,)
CALL LIB$SIGNAL(%VAL(RMS_STS),%VAL(RMS_STV))
ENDIF

Taken from the FORTRAN User's Guide Page F-13

http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/82final/6443/aa-qjrwd-te.pdf

Read more in chapter 7.3 Handling Errors

Volker.
Hoff
Honored Contributor

There's not much to go on here.

IOSTAT 30 is OPEFAI, a file open failure.
This error appears a catch-all, and could be a channel or quota leak, or could conceivably be some sort of a collision during the file open operation.

I'd probably code a FOR$*OPEFAI return to call for at least a traceback (stackdump), or to fire up the debugger dynamically, to see if I could get some details on the failure.

For the former, dig around for details of the TBK$SHOW_TRACEBACK API, and for the latter dig around for the signal of SS$_DEBUG with some debugger commands. The former did eventually get documented (after V7.3-2?) while the latter has been documented for a while.

Also look around, as there are ways to get at the FAB from within Fortran, and there are fields down in there (fab$l_sts and fab$l_stv) that might shed more light on the particular failure. You might have to use USEROPEN (depending on what caused this OPEN to tip over), but you might also be able to get at the FAB and its fields via FOR$RAB. (Problem here is that the open failed, so the FAB and RAB might be gone by the time you go look; you might have to manage these structures yourself with USEROPEN to see what's really in there.)

V7.3-2 on an AlphaServer ES45 is going to be faster than V7.2 on an AlphaServer ES40, so it's quite conceivable that a latent timing bug has been exposed.

Do check for and load the Fortran and other mandatory ECOs for OpenVMS Alpha V7.3-2 (as per the normal HP support requests), should this become an escalation.

You might want to look at raising the quotas, too. Just because old and existing quotas tend to get stale.

Alternatively, get some outside eyes to take a look at the code.

Stephen Hoffman
HoffmanLabs LLC

DECxchange
Regular Advisor

Hello,

Did you change any logicals pointing to disc drives where the files are located after the upgrade to the new ES45? That is, did you change any sCSI disc assignments?
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

> My programmers are ready to pull out their
> hair!

One simple (-minded?) approach is to leave
the hair and pull out the simple Fortran
error handling. It's been a long time since
I did anything serious with Fortran (back
when it was still FORTRAN), but, as I recall,
the error messages from an unhandled error
were much more informative than the OPEFAI
you got when you did the right thing.
John Gillings
Honored Contributor

LM

This may be what Steven was suggesting, but to be sure...

Sometimes the easiest way to find out what a FORTRAN status means is to NOT try and handle it yourself. In simple terms, remove the IOSTAT clause from your OPEN statement and let the program fail.

Obviously not great for production code, but if you're debugging you'll get the complete signal array in the resulting stack dump. Same kind of info as the code Volker is suggesting, but much easier to write the code and get it right.

If you know there are certain status codes you want to handle, code it like this:

OPEN( whatever IOSTAT=stat etc...)
IF(stat.NE.0)THEN
! some error
IF(stat.EQ.error1)THEN
! handle error 1
ELSE IF(stat.EQ.error2)THEN
! handle error 2
! ...etc
ELSE
! unexpected error - repeat OPEN without IOSTAT
OPEN( whatever etc...)
ENDIF
ENDIF

If it is some kind of access problem, turning on file access failure auditing might help too.

$ SET AUDIT/ALARM/ENABLE=FILE=FAIL=ALL

A crucible of informative mistakes
DECxchange
Regular Advisor

Hello,
You could be running into a record locking problem. Are the files opened with the SHARED key word in the OPEN statement? One way to get around this error is to put the OPEN statement and its error checking in a loop of so many tries, with a SYS$SETIMR or LIB$WAIT in between. Then try the OPEN again. The same goes for READ. Even though the error might indicate a file OPEN error, it could also occur on a READ. But I think a READ is Error code 36 instead of 30. All of these codes are spelled out in an appendix in the FORTRAN Language Reference Manual.

One of my Alphas has a FORTRAN compiler and is running 7.3-2. I can fire it up and test out some of your code if you'd like.

Some other thoughts. Have any of these FORTRAN programs been recompiled since the OS upgrade? Have you made sure your version of the FORTRAN compiler is compatible with the new OS?

I would think that if this were just an OS upgrade and no code changes, your code should function pretty much the same. It might be these problems existed before and users just lived with them. But now users may be blaming them on your upgrade.

However, I see you are also going from an ES40 to an ES45. Have you made sure that all of your disc drives are pointed to according to where the application is expecting to see them? That is, have you checked your logical name assignments?

Greg Miller
DECxchange
DECxchange
Regular Advisor

Hello,
I compiled and linked a small piece of FORTRAN code that opened a nonexistent file.

PROGRAM open_file

IMPLICIT NONE

INTEGER iostatus,filun

filun = 1

OPEN(filun,FILE='decxchange.dat',STATUS='OLD',IOSTAT=iostatus,ERR=10)

10 CONTINUE
WRITE(6,*)'iostatus = ',iostatus

END

$ fort open
$ link open
$ run open
iostatus = 29

I could not reproduce an error 30. I'm not exaclty sure what circumstances you are running into without knowing more about your OPEN statement (what parameters you are using to open the file).

In fact, I tried using a LUN of 0, just in case your LIB$GET_LUN is not working for some reason. But I still got an error opf 29.

I also experimented with creating a file with the VMS CREATE command at the $ and then opening the file FORM='FORMATTED' and then FORM='UNFORMATTED' added to the OPEN statement. However, the file would open with an iostatus of 0, meaning it opened the file OK. I know that normally you can't mix formatted and unformatted under some conditions. But I haven't fully played around with this yet. I also messed around with RECORDSIZE And RECL. But I could not get an error 30. Just 29.

Greg Miller
DECxchange
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

As others indicated, you really want to get the program to display the underlying RMS STS (and optional STV) fields. That will be a good, permanent, investment to the file.

And you may want to monitor process quotas for a few sample users.

>> randomly, on different files, across several users
>> the longer use utilizes the application - the more likely it is to occur.

So clearly nothing to do with logical names or disk confusion during the migration, because if those are wrong it will never work.

Also not likely anything to do with file locking allthough admittedl timing may have changed.

And the error is on Open, so it can have nothing to do with a timing window on a record lock.

Those 'over time' error tend to be QUOTA related with some form of leaking added in.

So just monitor a 'prone' user for a while.
Ideally the SHOW PROC/CONT 'q' screen, but that's not available untill OpenVMS 8.3

But you probably have, or can google for, a DCL script with GETJPIs to display the various COUNTS vs LIMITS.
Or just use ANALYZE/SYSTEM ... SHOW PROC

Running out of channels? (SYSGEN/SYSUAF)
Running out of PAGFILQUO?

And monitor Virtual memory.
Are those files using RMS GLOBAL BUFFERS?
Running out of P0 (GETJPI FREP0VA)?
GBLSECTIONS, GBLPAGES?

What else changed?
Did you switch to XFC? SHOW RMS?
Were all 7.3-2 patches applied?

Hope this helps some,
Hein van den Heuvel