1752680 Members
5886 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ITIL : Example capacity planning reports

Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

ITIL : Example capacity planning reports

I have to do capacity planning and produce documents. I would like to see some examples.

Did anyone see (impresive) examples on the internet ? Or has someone produced one (also impresive if possible) that he/she can share ?

I'm thinking about :
1) impact of memory given to the db
2) influence of having more data in certain db tables
3) influence of having more cpu's/faster IO

I'm not thinking of :
1) trends in xxx usage

And I have real time applications for which no simulators exists in a test environment.

Wim
Wim
3 REPLIES 3
Michelle Popejoy
Frequent Advisor

Re: ITIL : Example capacity planning reports

Wim,

I would contact PerfCap (www.PerfCap.com). They're the company that spun off from DEC with the PolyCenter Capacity Planner after DEC had sold many of the other PolyCenter products to CA. I used PolyCenter Capacity Planner (it's eCAP Planner now) back then and it was great! It used REAL data from YOUR systems running LIVE and let you do the kind of "what if" analysis that you're wanting.

You just need to find a short timeframe that represents either a typical load or a peak (but with nothing at 100%) load depending on your needs.

I don't have a visual example for you, but at that time it would generate a diagram based on the data. I don't remember what all the screens looked like and I'm sure they've only improved over the years.

Good luck!
Michelle
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." - Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)
Michelle Popejoy
Frequent Advisor

Wim,

Just found the following presentation on eCAP on the PerfCap web page and it has screenshots.

http://www.perfcap.com/docs/339,10,PerfCap Planner

-Michelle
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." - Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Michelle,

How can this tool know the impact of 1,2,3 ?
E.g. adding cpu's will not help because serial sql execution will not go faster with more cpu's.

I think the tool is in category "trends".

Wim
Wim