1753359 Members
5105 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ITRC Patch Downloads

Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

Re: ITRC Patch Downloads

A clearer link to the master patch list for each version of VMS would be useful.

I agree with Martin. Looking up TCP/IP was a problem for me, too. I finally found it tacked to an older VMS release.
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

George,

It's improving, but: The missing "Sort by date" has been a request FROM THE BEGINNING of the new site - look (*far*) back in this forum.
I didn't check lately but one remark has been made several times: Have the releasenotes in plain text as well, not only in HTML format. The reason: Some download the releasenotes (FTP) from their VMS server without graphic device to read them on a character cell terminal. (If this has been handled already, please ignore this remark)

One problem I run into is downloading a ZIP by HTTP will fail after some time and redo will start from the beginning. The safest way I foudn so far is getting each separately. It would be nice if I could 'save' my selection over sessions.

Willem

Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Perhaps may be difficult but try:
User write his system configuration (OS version, patch and eco installed) and can view new patch and/or ECO avaiable.
Also the last two week added marked with "new!".
I just married multiple os version search idea.

@Antoniov

Antonio Maria Vigliotti
George_145
Valued Contributor

One of the complaints I keep hearing is that new tools get implemented without enough user input as to what is working and what is really needed. I got a call last week from the group responsible for writing and maintaining the patch portion of the ITRC. They are conducting a survey to find out what new tools are needed by internal users and customers. Part of the survey is to find out what improvements can be made to the current tools.

Here are the issues that have been raised here so far and which ones I'll raise at the survey meeting (this came out to be a lot longer then expected, sorry, I was on a roll :-)

- ITRC search mode needs a true search by date function. Not a search that can find all patches issued in February 2004 but rather a search that can find all the patches issued SINCE February 2004, note that if this happens it will probably obsolete the Master Lists.

- Searches need to be able to be conducted across mulitple versions rather than having to do multiple searches. I will also raise searches across multiple architectures but if we could get the multiple versions part that would be a big step. These first two will have the highest priority.

- Need to be able to put a patch on hold immediately.

- today the ITRC sorts patches by rating then date then alphabetically. Can we let the user choose the sort characteristics they want with the current sort being the default.

- there was a request to use cookies to save what patches a user has already downloaded and mark them as such in the search results. Interesting. I will raise the suggestion but I've heard customers fume at having to use cookies, others don't mind. Sounds like a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't.
:-).

- clearer link to the Master Lists. This one is something I have to take a look at. When I issue a new master list, I give it a rating on 1 and name it so that it is alphabetically first. Hopefully this keeps it as the first "kit" listed on a search. Apparently that isn't working. I'll have to see what else can be done.

- release notes in plain text...ah...they are. I'm not sure where this comment is coming from. Maybe it is related to the next point.

- Subscriber's Choice is just plain broken for VMS users. It is all but useless or getting the patch notifications and documentation - it doesn't come out often enough, documentation is HTML format, forces uers to go to another link to get the information, with all the marketing info it looks like something from the Shopping Channel. Customers have repeatedly told me that SC is spam. What is need is immediate notification of patch releases in simple direct format.
(Along this line, OPENVMS.ORG gets notified when a VMS *operating system* patch is released. They maintain a subscription list of users and will send the notices to users as they are received. It's a simple matter to go to openvms.org to sign up for these patch notices...until Subscriber's Choice is fixed. Note that this distribution is NOT a replacement for Subscriber's Choice and customers still need to sign up for that service. That is the official notification channel for HP customers for a lot of information besides just patches.

- layered product patches can not be found easily. I don't really think this is an ITRC issue. I think it is more related to the way patches get to the ITRC. We'll take a look at how it can be better.

- Image Index. Sorry to be dense but I'm still not sure what is meant by this. Do you want to see an index of all images shipped in, say, V7.3-2? Or in index of what images are shipped in each kit. If the latter, it's there in the kit documentation. If the former, what benefit does that give?

George
labadie_1
Honored Contributor

George

May be I can explain how I understand the image index.

For Vms 7.3, there is an image index at
http://ftp.support.compaq.com.au/pub/ecoinfo/ecoinfo/a73i.htm

and I can see that (for example) the file directory.exe of a customer system can be
1) from a "basic" Vms 7.3 system
2) with the patch DIR V0100, appeared on 15-JUL-2002
3) with the patch SYS V0600, appeared on 12-AUG-2002

I would like an image index for all recents (let's say Vms 7.3 and later) versions of Vms.

Regards

Gerard
Martin P.J. Zinser
Honored Contributor

Hello George,

I do really appreciate how you try to get some
more direct input on this from the folks in the ranks here.

Two short notes: People get upset if a Website does require Cookies to be usable at all. Having your downloads stored in a cookie would be a nice usability add-on for those who do not mind cookies, but should not pose a problem for those who turn cookies off (OTOH, can you really use the hp sites without having cookies turned on?)

From what I understand, the image index would be a list of all images that have been changed by patches since the base OS release.
I am not exactly sure how useful this really is, since few sites will install every patch I'd expect. I know for sure that we are e.g. tardy with the graphics patches on our server systems.

Greetings, Martin
George_145
Valued Contributor

I've asked for two enhancements to the ITRC front end and they've been accepted.

- A date search capability. This won't be a "show me all kits issued in May 2004" type search but rather a "show me all kits issued since May 2004", which seesm to satisfy what people are looking for.

- Better visibility for kits on hold. Turns out that when I put a kit on hold, the kit is removed from the ITRC site. What I want is to have the kit still visible on the site but not downloadable and the docs replaced by the hold notice.

Both of these changes *may* be able to be implemented in the next release, scheduled for the August timeframe. Other changes that I am still pushing on are a search across versions and more timely turnaround of getting a kit hold processed.

Also, I have changed the characteristics of the master lists so that they will be the first "kit" seen on a general browse and you can search for them using patch ID "Master".

As far as the image list, when you go to the ITRC search page, if you search by image you can see all kits that changed that particular image. For instance, if I search Alpha V7.3 for DIRECTORY.EXE I come up with
VMS73_DIR-V0100, VMS73_SYS-V0700 and VMS73_UPDATE-V0300. The same kits Gerard shows in his example (except that the SYS kit is the latest one). In view of this search capability, I'd need more justification before I put the effort into compiling, and creating the tools to maintain, a general image list. How many people would find such a list useful and why, given that it is going to change every time a kit is issued.

George
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

George,

How many people would find such a list useful and why, given that it is going to change every time a kit is issued.

You can increment that count by one.

Thanks for your efforts!

Jan
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
George_145
Valued Contributor

Jan,

Ok.......but how is it usefull?

George