108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Index Limit - VMS 7.3-2

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jorge Cocomess
Super Advisor

Nope, it wasn't the version limit issue. I wish I knew what they purged. I will find out more tomorrow and post the result.

Thanks,
J
Andy Bustamante
Honored Contributor

If it's not the version limit then Karl is probably on track. The file [000000]indexf.sys contains the file headers for disk (the /headers=xxx in the disk INIT string). This file can extend on the fly, but is limited to 1 header. Once you've reached that point, any attempt to create a new file on that disk will fail. PURGE and DELETE are the short term fix. As Karl mentions above, you'll need to reinit the disk to correct the issue long term. DFU will provide information on the number of free headers.

See the help for /max and /head under INIT. The values will depend on your application. DFU will help you plan disk configuration.

Andy
If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over? Reach me at first_name + "." + last_name at sysmanager net
David Jones_21
Trusted Contributor

"If your problem is the indexfile, only a BACKUP/RESTORE will help (or delete some files:-))"

The Disk File Optimizer product has a DEFRAG OFFLINE_VOLUME command that will defragment the index.sys file. The disk has to be dismounted to perform the operation.
I'm looking for marbles all day long.
Jorge Cocomess
Super Advisor

Sounds complicated. We do have license for CA product called Diskkeeper, should I be using this to defrag?

Thanks,
J
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Jorge,

did your application receive the

HEADERFULL, file header is full

error ? This would indicate, that the file header of INDEXF.SYS cannot be extended anymore.

You can easily check, whether this could be this case (if you know the disk on which this error has happened):

$ DUMP/BLOCK=COUNT=0/HEADER disk:[000000]INDEXF.SYS

If you see lots and lots of Retrieval Pointers in the Map Area (at the bottom of the file header), chances are that the INDEXF.SYS file header is full and cannot be extended anymore to allow for more files to be created on that disk.

See ATW article 4452:

http://h71000.www7.hp.com/wizard/wiz_4452.html

If this is the case and Diskeeper can defrag INDEXF.SYS, you should run it and have it just try to defragment INDEXF.SYS. You will probably need to dismount the volume temporarily to defrag INDEXF.SYS.

The HP OpenVMS Disk File Optimizer (DFO) is described at:

http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/storage/dfofaq.html

Volker.
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Jorge,

from your Forum Profile:

I have assigned points to 176 of 278 responses to my questions.

Your profile even has TWO pages with pointers to questions with unassigned answers.

Maybe you can find some time to do some assigning?

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#33

Mind, I do NOT say you necessarily need to give lots of points. It is fully up to _YOU_ to decide how many. If you consider an answer is not deserving any points, you can also assign 0 ( = zero ) points, and then that answer will no longer be counted as unassigned.
Consider, that every poster took at least the trouble of posting for you!

To easily find your streams with unassigned points, click your own name somewhere.
This will bring up your profile.
Near the bottom of that page, under the caption "My Question(s)" you will find "questions or topics with unassigned points " Clicking that will give all, and only, your questions that still have unassigned postings.

Thanks on behalf of your Forum colleagues.

PS. - nothing personal in this. I try to post it to everyone with this kind of assignment ratio in this forum. If you have received a posting like this before - please do not take offence - none is intended!

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

"The wizard is yet to see a single cases of INDEXF.SYS filling up on disks initialized on OpenVMS V6 or higher."

So, you might be the first. Did the disk come from pre-6 ?

Wim
Wim
Jorge Cocomess
Super Advisor

No. Well, first time for everything, right?

Thanks,
J
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

>> No. Well, first time for everything, right?

I doubt it.

I have yet to see a real error message, or useful data about the disk.

Just run a DFU report and stop speculating!

Hein.