6896 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Installation of Creative Labs audiopci card

Paul Beaudoin
Regular Advisor

Installation of Creative Labs audiopci card

Gents,

In my quest to have audio still work on my PSW500au system after upgrading to 8.2, I purchased the above card. It came with an extra cable and no instructions - I presume the cable needs to go somewhere. A long google didn't turn up anything. Can anyone let me know how to instal and cable this card into the above VMS system. Anything further I need to do in software, or will VMS do what it normally does best and pick it up on reboot?

Mnay thanks

Paul
19 REPLIES 19
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

does it show up in show config at the console?
I expect you will need to add an entry to
sys$devices.dat

I haven't done the hardware install yet - that is the primary question. From another source I found that the cable is for the CDROM and as I don't need this, assume I can ignore it. As for the sys$devices.dat, I have no idea of what (if anything) is necessary here. If so, any hint as to where to find instructions? Are you possibly referring to the sys$user_config.dat? I had to add an entry here to enable the embedded audio (this is what stopped working on upgrade) and assume I should comment this out. It sounds safe to at least try the new device and see what happens....?
Thanks for the help

Paul
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Paul,

the MMOV release notes are to be found here:

http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/products/mmov/mmov_release_notes.html

They talk about an entry in sys$user_config.dat

Volker.
Paul Beaudoin
Regular Advisor

Thanks for the hint. I installed the card last night and after a re-install of MMOV, VMS found the device but it is offline. MMOV starts up and runs OK until you ask it to do anything, then it crashes with error 10408014. I can't find a translation for this. Google turns up this error in relation to an older patch for DECDCE and COM but only applies up to 7.21h1 (probably not relevant here. That entry also has no translation. I found the reinstall added 2 entries to sys$user_config.dat - one for each card (embedded and new). I commented out the embedded entry and rebooted - no change. The MMOV IVP also fails. So the questions: How do I get the device online and is this what is causing the MMOV crash? Is there any way to have MMOV give any further information (the MMOV error log is empty)?
Many thanks for any hints
Paul
Paul Beaudoin
Regular Advisor

Further information: I tried booting VMS8.2 with ther new card and reinstalled MMOV, the correct device was added to sys$user_config.dat, I commented out all references to the embedded device and rebooted. (same sequence as in 7.3-2). The device was not detected at VMS level. The conclusion I am forced to at this stage is that there is something broken in the 8.2/MMOV combination in as much as it is unable to see the same devices that 7.2 sees. The version of MMOV is the same in both cases.
The SPD for 8.2 does state MMOV is supported.

This may be now a propoer support call which I'll see if I can arrange but in the meantime, any hints at what to do are most welcome.

Regards

Paul
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Paul,

it looks like you need MMOV V2.2-1 to support OpenVMS Alpha V8.2. This version is available from the OpenVMS Alpha Layered Products CDs since JUN-2005.

This is a link to the SPL (Software Product List) entry:

http://h30266.www3.hp.com/masterindex/final_spl_vmsaxp_q205/SPLVAQ205_4G8AA_2_2-1_SSB.shtml

Did you install that version MMOV V2.2-1 ?

Status code: 10408014 may indicate %SYSTEM-F-BADPARAM

Volker.
Paul Beaudoin
Regular Advisor

Volker,

Thanks for that - I did install MMOV 2.2-1 on both versions of VMS (I should have been clearer on this). Interestingly the PCSI kit has 2.2-1 embedded in the file name (so I assume this is the correct version) but PCSI SHOW PROD MMOV still says V2.2. I presume this is not a problem?
Thanks

Paul
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

Hmmm. I'm still at VMS V7.3-2 on my main
XP1000, and my "PRODUCT SHOW PRODUCT MMOV"
says:

DEC AXPVMS MMOV V2.2-1 Full LP Installed

Time to re-install?

(By the way, "PCSI SHOW PROD MMOV" says:
%DCL-W-IVVERB, unrecognized command verb - check validity and spelling
\PCSI\

I assume that you're just trying to sew
confusion here.)
Paul Beaudoin
Regular Advisor

Interesting - Have I been picking up the wrong version all along? Embarassing it is but a good solution. I'll double check this tonight.

Many thanks

Paul