1753894 Members
8042 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Installed Image corruption on OpenVMS 7.2-2

Antonio Gonzalez_4
Regular Advisor

Installed Image corruption on OpenVMS 7.2-2

We have an old version of MQseries and we are having problems with it on a box migration (from AS4100 to ES40).
We copyed (Backup/image) old OS drive to the new box drive. All is working since a week.

After one of the MQ process got in a CPU loop I had to reboot the system. After that, some images of MQ product fail to start.

Is it possible to get a corrupted file after a non clean shutdown on an installed image ??

Have had any of you these experiences before ?

How is the best way to troubleshot this problem ?

I'm afraid that this is not the first time that MQ gives such problem; can be some specific issue with this software that may show this problems ??

IBM support only say that the version of MQseries is old and unsupported !! Nice job let the customer alone in front of the problems ...

Thanks
antonio
4 REPLIES 4
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

what's the error message when they fail to start?

antonio,

>Is it possible to get a corrupted file after a non clean shutdown

Yes, but highly unlikely. By default OpenVMS doesn't do write back caching, and all file system I/Os are done in a sequence that ensures consistent files regardless of power fails or crashes.

> on an installed image ??

Even less likely. It's a read only file, so the only way to corrupt it is write junk on top of it. Not reason to expect this to happen as a result of a shutdown.

Log a service case with your local HP customer support centre, and as Ian has suggested, give them the exact error message(s)
A crucible of informative mistakes
Antonio Gonzalez_4
Regular Advisor

The source of the problem is MQseries, a queue based communication application from IBM. We think that the problem is some inconsistency inside MQseries due to the unclean shutdown.

After the incident we've seen that some queues got damaged and we could not create a new queue.

HP support has no idea of what MQseries is and IBM say that the version of MQseries is outdated & unsupported.

Of course, new versions of MQseries force us to update OVMS to 7.3, that force us to update Rdb and ... blah blah ... a mess!!!

I can compare this production box with the developement one and I'll look for any open file that could got corrupted, but this is a very time consuming task without any likely success chance.

antonio
comarow
Trusted Contributor

Few companies other than the traditional VMS support try to support products with best effort that are out of date.

It makes sense to update gradually so you are not in this problem.

Can you restore your disk to a known good state? If other files have changed, you could save them and copy them back.