108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Installing Data Protector v5.5 (234) off system disk - VMS v7.3-2

SOLVED
Go to solution
Art Wiens
Respected Contributor

Installing Data Protector v5.5 (234) off system disk - VMS v7.3-2

The documentation states that the software "must" be installed on the system disk. My goal is to have a static as possible system disk, mostly because we'll be using DP for backups and there's no "bare metal" restore mechanism for the system disk.

The only obvious logicals are for the root directory - OMNI$ROOT defined in SYS$STARTUP:OMNI$SYSTARTUP.COM. OMNI$ROOT:[BIN]OMNI$STARTUP_INET.COM intentionally places the logs :
INET -LOG "/OMNI$ROOT/LOG/INET.LOG" .

Simple edits could redirect these.

Is this the "reason" it has to be installed on the system disk?

Cheers,
Art
3 REPLIES 3
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Various of the OpenView applications can have had local system disk requirements or related assumptions; I'd suggest escalating this request via your formal channels if you want some sort of assurance this configuration would work or an enhancement allowing this log-level customization could be implemented.

Or you can take a shot here and make the DCL code change, and see if this works. (It'll probably work, but then I've also run afoul of a few of these assumptions over the years, and across various products and product upgrades.)

(Interesting. "/OMNI$ROOT/LOG/INET.LOG" very clearly implies this OVDP code is (largely unmodified) Unix C or C++ code. Hadn't noticed that particular file specification detail before.)

In the HP-UX variant of this code, there's probably a configuration file that permits this sort of thing. This tweak does look like a good enhancement, though.
John Gillings
Honored Contributor

Art,

>Is this the "reason" it has to be
>installed on the system disk?

The most common reason for this type of restriction is lack of testing and qualification. One would hope that any production quality software would be free of the kind of assumptions that tie it down to a particular disk.

Chances are changing the logical name will work, but it won't be supported. Please make sure this is elevated as an anhancement request to HP. Having software that forces installation in a particular configuration should be a thing of the past (or, at the very least, limited to PCs)

Mind you, some of us have been lobbying for years for TCPIP to formally support moving data files to a non-system disk, but still no dice :-( It "works" but isn't supported.
A crucible of informative mistakes
Guenther Froehlin
Valued Contributor
Solution

I have a foggy memory on the discussion we had. I think it was only a problem with PCSI (PRODUCT) to allow the installation for a non-system disk location.

If you move OMNI$ROOT then your next PRODUCT task (update,remove) most likely will fail.

/Guenther