Operating System - OpenVMS
1753937 Members
9108 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Installing Oracle (BEA) (DMQ) MessageQ (32bit) V5.0 on Integrity (64bit) running OpenVMS V8.3-1H1

SOLVED
Go to solution
Neal Kirby
Advisor

Re: Installing Oracle (BEA) (DMQ) MessageQ (32bit) V5.0 on Integrity (64bit) running OpenVMS V8.3-1H1

Steven.

Thanks again. I ran CNVB.COM on the file and it discovered the original block size was 8192 and corrected this.

I ran the install & both .A & .B installation runs - (not with issue mind you)...

On install it appears to be defaulting to the TCP/IP services version of UCX (exists on SYS$SYSROOT - but not being used.

%MQI64V1-I-DECTCP, UCX TCP/IP support will be built

LNM$PROCESS_TABLE)
"DMQ_UCX$IPC_SHR_EXE" = "SYS$SYSROOT:[SYSLIB]UCX$IPC_SHR.EXE;"

Even though the logical clearly states that this should be TCPWare.

(LNM$SYSTEM_TABLE)
"UCX$IPC_SHR" = "TCPWARE:UCX$IPC_SHR.EXE"

When I work out the issue - I will add to the end of the Thread to complete the information. Thanks to all (esp. Steven) for all support to date.
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

> Even though [...]

It sounds as if you have more than one thing
about which to complain to the vendor.

> %MQI64V1-I-DECTCP, UCX TCP/IP support will be built

On a bad day, it's possible to mutilate the
KITINSTAL.COM on the fly (after figuring out
what to change, if the problem is curable).
Neal Kirby
Advisor

Thanks Steven for your support.

To close out: Should anyone need this for future reference - Here is the best starting point (Accessing the Release Notes from within the Saveset):

@sys$update:vmsinstal MQI64V1050 File_Location OPTIONS N

This gives access the the Release Notes:
----------------------------------------
Software Version: BEA MessageQ for OpenVMS I64, Version 5.01

And in:
-------
1.2 New and Changed Features for MessageQ Version 5.01
This section describes the new and changed features for Version 5.01 release of MessageQ for OpenVMS:

Features not supported in this release
---
- MessageQ/TUXEDO Messaging Bridge for Alpha OpenVMS Version 7.1.
- LU 6.2
- Process Software Corporation's TCPWARE and Multinet TCP/IP stacks.
- PSS Scripting

So there you have it. The install is not running properly because TCPWare is not supported for MessageQ on I64.

Imagine the pain that could have been saved if the vendor said this first day - as opposed to 'there's no difference between MessageQ for Alpha & MessageQ for Itanium'.

Thanks for all the support. I learned a lot.
Verne Britton
Regular Advisor

Does TCPWare have a fake IPC_SHR image ... on my Multinet system:

$ pipe sh log/sys | sear sys$pipe IPC_SHR
"TCPIP$IPC_SHR" = "MULTINET:UCX$IPC_SHR.EXE"
"UCX$IPC_SHR" = "MULTINET:UCX$IPC_SHR.EXE"

so ... can you build it for UCX and it still could work as TCPWare will "fake it out" ??

Verne
Neal Kirby
Advisor

Interesting suggestion Verne. I have to say that the thought did cross my mind - (& testing the scenario will be considered) but it would be an unsupported configuration for an Enterprise System and that would be a concern.

We are currently reviewing if HP OpenVMS TCP/IP Services can co exist with PSC TCPWare (both started on the same system).

If TCP/IP services was turned on (& could co-exist with TCPWare) - we could complete the install of MessageQ. I would then be content in testing bus communication over MessageQ/TCP-IP Services as opposed to MessageQ/TCPWare. We still need TCPWare as a number of other applications depend on it.
Hoff
Honored Contributor

The chances of two disparate IP stacks coexisting (and with both running) are somewhere between impossible and vanishingly small; the scope for collisions is, well, huge.

And as is typical for many enterprise sites, the requirements are intractably tangled. You need to get that sorted.

Your likely options here will include migrating to VM guests or to multiple physical boxes (clustered), or a port (of the application and the IP stacks, or a port off VMS, or off of MQ), or convincing your vendors to add support the configuration. None of which will be cheap.

Neal Kirby
Advisor

Thanks Hoff.

We just got information from PSC that - "They can not run side by side. Once one is brought up the other can not be brought up without a reboot."

So that is off the table. Worth questioning though - even if the expectation of 2 IP stacks working side-by-side was some what implausible.

Getting feedback from the vendor that a patch may be available (Oct 15, 2010) to allow MessageQ on I64 to install with TCPWare and work as expected. I will feedback when I have more details.
Neal Kirby
Advisor

I just want to close this thread. I want to inform you that Oracle had a patch to allow MessageQ work on Itanium with TCPWare. This patch was an initial release and did not work properly. I worked with Oracle to test this patch on a production type system and we worked through 3 patch releases together to get it to a production ready standard. We are now running on MessageQ on Itanium with TCPWare without issue since December 27th, 2010. Thanks to everyone for supporting me on this Thread.
Neal Kirby
Advisor

Thread Closed.