1748165 Members
4004 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Instances oF VMS on a blade server

Steven_101
Advisor

Instances oF VMS on a blade server

Looking into the possibiity of going to blade servers. Can't seem to find anything sbout how many instances of VMS can be ran on a blade. Im sure its dependant on the blade model. Just can't find any info
2 REPLIES 2
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Re: Instances oF VMS on a blade server

Instance here implies either a virtual machine or galaxy configuration.

There is no Virtual Machine support until V8.4 ships, per the last OpenVMS roadmap I checked.

OpenVMS Galaxy hasn't make it over to OpenVMS I64, and (AFAIK) it wasn't on the list of features to port as it's tied to OpenVMS and to the console presentation.

So you can have each BL860c or BL870c blade running its copy of OpenVMS I64 (as if it were its own Integrity server), communicating with and potentially clustered with other blades in the c3000 or c7000 box, or with other systems running OpenVMS.

Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

Re: Instances oF VMS on a blade server

Steven,

On the present generation of blades (BL860c), without HPVM, one copy of OpenVMS. With HPVM client functionality (release 8.4 per the roadmap), your mileage will vary (this is what I recall from the HP Technical Forum the other week in Las Vegas).

With the new BL870c, I would have to review the technical documentation in detail. There are some references to "partitioning" in the specifications that I would want to research before making any solid conclusions.

Both sets of c-Class blades are described at http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/blades/components/c-class-integrity-bladeservers.html

I strongly recommend a slow, careful read of all available technical specifications and other documentation before coming to any conclusions. Queries to HP OpenVMS Product Management can yield more information, albeit on a Non-Disclosure basis.

It may also be a good idea to retain outside in-depth OpenVMS expertise as to how these features play out in your particular environment [Disclosure: Our firm, as do several other major contributors in this forum, provide services in this area.]

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com